1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What do you tell your clients?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by JRose, Feb 10, 2014.

1. JRose

JRose Member

I typically quote 3 months or so on deer, and often times that works, but once and awhile I have a deer that just takes FOREVER.

I explain these exceptions, but naturally no client wants to hear "Oh by the way, it's gonna take more time". I'm debating just quoting 6 months or more as a standard. How do other people handle the uncertainty of cleaning times? I'm curious :)

2. chickenhawk

chickenhawk SKULL TECH TROPHY MOUNTS

I usually say 90-120 days for deer 6 months for bear. Most customers love it when I call the 60 days in and say your deer is ready.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

As above. I also figure in that I have customers waiting in line ahead of them. They wait their turn like everyone else did. If something is being difficult, I am honest with them.

4. Paul I

Paul I New Member

As a long time collector,the truth works best.If your backed up tell me that.If I want to buy from you I will wait.Dont ever change this and you will have no stress.Try it.

5. JRose

JRose Member

I am of course totally honest and upfront. If it's greasy, it's greasy! But most folks don't understand the process. You give them a deadline and they hold you to it! 120 sounds like a safer route, and yeah I bet customers like an early arrival :) I think I might switch to a longer initial estimate and see how things go!

Dale Loescher likes this.
  6. I tell them 2-6 months on any animal, if its a bear I or pig I tell them it could be even longer.

7. Bones N Beasts

Bones N Beasts New Member

Im going to start telling people longer it drives me crazy theres a guy down the road the says he'll have it done in seven days of its free even a bear and I explain to people why he can do it like that and what it will look like in a few months but some people hear seven days and thats all they can think about but I dont want them as customers anyways

8. JRose

JRose Member

I'm getting stable enough business to where I'm not as concerned with winning new clients, luckily. I got one deer right now, I estimated 3 months, so the guy was hoping to have it by Christmas for his son. Well, it's stupidly greasy, and I've been switching between ammonia and heated dawn trying to loosen it up. This guy was paranoid from the get-go that I would steal it, and so telling him the darn thing needs a few extra months didn't rub him the right way. Looking back I probably should've not taken it in! A little cahs in my pocket isn't worth dealing with paranoid, bothersome clients!

9. JRose

JRose Member

I get a lot of guys who don't want to pay any more than $25, or even want it done for free, and the argument is always "Well, I could just boil it myself, so why would I pay your price?" or "Well Jo over here can do it in half the time for half the price, so what kind of deal can you give me?"

I just say you want a free/cheap job, you're gonna GET free/cheap results! Go for it! They'll try it themselves or have 'Jo' do it and they'll be bringing it to me next time anyways :p

10. JRose

JRose Member

I had one client order something very complex, so I drew up a proposal and quoted him around $1,500. He took my proposal to another taxidermist, that guy undercut me by $50 and the client went for it. People get funny about this stuff...

11. Bones N Beasts

Bones N Beasts New Member

Ive got a guy that thought I was going to keep this little buck he shot too and hes texting about every week wanting a pic and to know how its going I'm wishing I would have not taken the job its not even to the amount of time i quoted him

12. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Point blank .. when someone accuses you of stealing a piece, stop process on it and hand it back. Tell them they can take it someplace else. The hassle and possible negative gossip to other potential customers about you is not worth it. Charge them a minimal fee for whatever effort you have put into it and tell them to come and get it.