1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How do u make brown dirt . need to repo Kansas dirt

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by gwpwaterfowler, Feb 11, 2014.

1. gwpwaterfowler

gwpwaterfowler New Member

Need to make tan dirt ..peat moss to dark..or is there a tutorial ? Thanks

2. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Where in KS? Our dirt here is darker than peat moss.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

3. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

I mix brown and black tempra paint into my dirt mix. I use a little cellulose a little plaster of Paris and a little roman 555 with some water.
    Brush it on kind of thick then I dump dry dirt or sand on it and lightly tap or press it into the mix along with any small sticks rocks or leaves. Let it sit over night and then blow off the excess.
    Same mix I use for rocks but I don't add the paint and I add some vermiculite for rocks. Then paint when dry.

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

When I want the perfect brown dirt, I use brown dirt.

5. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Just like Cole said. I get dirt, dry it at low temp in the oven on a tray and then get a piece of screen and sift it or use the wife's flour sifter . I also get different colors of concrete stain from lowes or Home Depot. A little goes along way. Get some cellulose insulation, some stucco mix, and if you want some lime or fire clay. I experiment with all these because I have them around from doing stone work. Be sure and wear gloves!
    You can also just paint on some Elmer's glue and water on and use your sifted dirt on top of that. I like to spray it latter when its dry with some matte spray to seal it to keep it from rubbing off.