1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

This was my first attempt at taxidermy on a black bear

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Dangonrob, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Dangonrob

Dangonrob Guest

I need to know what I did wrong! Critics please have at it

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I see a distant bear with an artificial pine branch in a garage. If you really want a critique, take at least six pics from all angles and clear close ups. Go to the top of the threads and look at beginners looking for critiques thread.

3. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

[​IMG]

Nailed It!

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Look at Cyclones reference. Draw a straight line from those nostrils up through the eyes. You'll see that line going through the ears. Do that with yours and you'll see your line goes off into space about e the entire ears. Your eyes suffer because you didn't build eyebrows on the form. And stay away from white on the airbrush . It looks like a milkmouth.

5. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Your form was to big, everything looks stretched on the form

6. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

If you put that bear on the dirt bike and snap a picture....I'll hit the like button.... ;D

7. sealow

sealow Member

I'll give you props for trying a 1/2 life bear on your first ever attempt at taxidermy.

8. Lay off the poor guy!

9. Good to see you have a sense of humor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Tuck the lips more, position the ears correctly as George said, take pictures of what you are working on and compare as you shape. Your eye shape isn't shaped like a bear's. On tho nose, you either didn't turn and flesh it all the way, or just misshaped it when mounting. Switch to an artificial nose or split it correctly and take more time to shape it correctly when mounting. It looks like your lips aren't tucked all the way on the sides. It's really difficult to tell because the picture is from so far away and not clear. Take closeups and repost if you want better, more accurate critiques. I would strongly recommend you buy a DVD. Taxidermytrainingunlimited has a good one: https://www.taxidermytrainingunlimited.com/AB-02.html

11. Jason L

Jason L New Member

Reference photos would help you a lot. Good job at your first attempt. Lol, most peoples first try at taxidermy is a squirrel or maybe a game head.You my friend chose a half body bear mount! Hats off to you!

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

If you wanted roses, you should have sent the photo to your Mom. ;)

13. You that's really not a bad idea.

14. dog sick

dog sick Member

nj.
    I hope he dose have a sense of humor

15. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Wouldn't get roses from my mom...Tough old..... , OOPS better not LOL

16. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

You picked a tough choice form your first attempt at taxidermy. Another thing is your paws. Push the "fingers" together. They should not be spread out like that. Make sure you use good reference and study it before, during, and after you mount. Look for things like George said to ensure you are putting everything in the correct place. Pictures of live specimens don't lie and can be your best ally. Don't give up - use this as a learning tool. Maybe take a class or two. Good luck.

17. CodyTheCorgi

CodyTheCorgi Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

This business is all about criticism, its definitely not for the weak.