1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question about saving a cape!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Boxie, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Boxie

Boxie New Member

I got a cape in the other day from Old Mexico. The cape had a very rotten smell so I applied Stop Rot and put it into the freezer. I do not do my own tanning and deliver all of my capes directly to the tanner. My question is: What is the best route to take when trying to save this cape? Should we skip the salting and go directly into a new fresh pickle to try and set the hair? I think my tanner uses formic/safety acid combo as a pickle. The cape is off of a net B&C so I want to try and do all that I can to save it. Any ideas? Thanks,,,Boxie

P.S. Many years ago when I did my own capes I would hardly ever salt. My capes would go from a fleshing straight into a formic acid pickle. Had good results. (notice I said good and not great{

2. Was it already slipping? If not, the cape will probably be just fine. I salt everything before pickle.

3. Had one like it last year. But it was slipping in a couple small spots. Soaked it down with stop rot and in the freezer it went. When I got it out it looked fine smelled fine and the loose spots were tighter. I split it all out and tanned it with krottan. It was fine. Stop rot is the secret I think. I would let your tanning guy know up front about the situation so he doesn't let it lay around at all, thaw split and in the salt or pickle. No delays and you should be fine.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. Boxie

Boxie New Member

Thanks,,,,and yes it had some slipping but not too bad. And, yes, the tanner will be notified about the situation. Extreme situations need extreme attention! What is bad is I had a bottle of Stop Rot drop shipped to the customer to apply in Mexico...., however, he forgot it back home.

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Every situation is different. I had a stinker last year that I saturated with Stop Rot...it came all to pieces when being fleshed. My experience with stinkers is that they are usually garbage.

6. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Worst part of it is that US agents thaw them back out if frozen to check for ticks...
    Went through that last year and did the same thing...

The formic/safety acid mix is one of the best for saving those type capes as formic is an excellent bactericide and safety drops the pH like a rock.

7. Boxie

Boxie New Member

cyclone, should I tell him to bypass the salt and go straight to the pickle?

8. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

I can't make that call, I'd have to go by what I saw and experienced.

That being stated, I'd try everything I could to salt, dry and rehydrate..but have to admit that I'd be "puckered" the entire time..

Ask your tanner, he's probably been through this before.

9. Boxie

Boxie New Member

Thanks, cyclone! I did give him some Stop Rot a while back and he did save a very badly slipping cowhide using it. Hope he recalls what he did!!