1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lady's First buck (long read/pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bone_thief, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Bone_thief

Bone_thief New Member

I know a lot of guys have said it lately but thanks to everyone on this site for the vast amount of knowledge and help that is made available here! I don't know if everyone realizes how awesome it is to have a site like this to go to and receive the amount of help that can be found here. If you are willing to take the time to look around and LISTEN there's not much a taxidermist cant learn from this place. I have been getting on here for about 2 years now, mostly just reading, listening and learning, as you can tell by my post count (my dad always said its hard to learn anything when your mouth is moving). I am a taxidermy hobbiest but I do take it VERY serious and want to be great at it. In fact I am joining my state association this year and I'm currently setting money back to hopefully take some one on one classes with Mr. Carter later this year so I can get some anatomy lessons. Anyways I posted a mount on here a while back and asked for a critique
    and was very fortunate to get a lot of good feedback on it. Unfortunately I had a health situation that kept me from doing any mounts the last 6 months or so but Im back at it now and just finished my first whitetail since then. I think it turned out pretty good but if anything stands out to you that I can work on don't hesitate to say so. Im going to take one to my state convention later this summer so hopefully i'll get some good constructive feedback there too!!
    The buck was killed by the wife of a real good friend of mine. It was her first deer, and it came from an area that if you killed one that scored 120" your doing good! This one scored 172" with two broken tines on the back, a real trophy!!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Bone_thief

Bone_thief New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Nice job!

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Anyone should be super geeked to get a mount back like that. You are going in the right direction, that is obvious.

5. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

What form is that? Looks awesome!

6. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

I was expecting a horrible mount as I was scrolling down! A very pleasant sight Great job

7. Bone_thief

Bone_thief New Member

Thanks 'T', it was you and antlerman I believe and that told me the things to work on last time, thanks again for the help.

Brooke- its a McKenzie 8400 :)

8. KLFL

KLFL Active Member

Wow

9. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Got nuthin' but love for that mount!!!!!!!

Did you send the skin out for fleshing and tanning or did you do it all in house?
    How many deer have you mounted?
    Are you Diesel's brother? LOL!

10. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

very nice job...

11. wvboy4444

wvboy4444 Member

nice!!!!!!!!!!

12. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

Great job man!

13. livbucks

Oh, and no offense to Rick Carter, but maybe you could just save the money where you are at already.

14. AJH

AJH Member

Wow!! ....Can I come take some lessons from you?? LOL Beautiful Mount!!

15. Bone_thief

Bone_thief New Member

Lol! no not Diesel's brother but I do appreciate the compliment. I have definitely spent time staring at some of his mounts trying to steal as much technique from them that I can (along with several other guys on here)! ;)

I do all my own tanning and fleshing/shaving for two reasons. One I prefer to be in control of how the hide is handled and especially shaved. Secondly since I do this as a hobby and don't do very many each year, time is not money to me like it is for the guys on here that do this as a business. So its hard for me to justify sending the few I do off. I mount appox 5 or so a year...been doing that for the last 5 years...

16. Bone_thief

Bone_thief New Member

I do appreciate you saying that but although I have no intentions of ever doing taxidermy as a business (I like my day job and love doing taxidermy as a hobby) I do want to compete soon. Plus I really just want to be the best at it that I possibly can, and there are still several parts of my mounts that I'm unhappy with (ear butts just to name one). I believe a few lessons with Rick could really help me get to the next level. Would like to learn more about anatomy, casting, open mouth work, etc... I do my mounts from the outside in and would like to learn to do them from the inside out. (hopefully that makes sense ;)) Plus I would just love to pick his brain for a day or two!! lol

17. livbucks

He does know a lot of stuff for sure. Go for it. If competing is your goal, you need what he has to offer.

18. CodyTheCorgi

CodyTheCorgi Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Oh man, those muscle lines look SO nice.

If anything, something about the eyes on this part look a lil wonky to me, but then again it could just be me.
    [​IMG]

Like the one on the left is pointed downwards a liiiiiittle too much.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

19. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Everything looks great, just ear but muscle shape. Watch mouth corner hair pattern. Not to noticeable on short haired deer but when you have a longer haired winter deer, the hair will look off and going in wrong direction. Otherwise looks better then someone doing a 100 a year and getting $600.00.

20. Bone_thief

Bone_thief New Member

Thanks for the compliments, and for the honest opinions on the areas that need a little work. My ears and ear butts are the area I feel I lack the most. :( One of the main reasons I want to take some anatomy lessons from Mr. Carter so I can learn those muscles structures better!! :)