1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtann 2000 Shrinking Capes

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by taxidermistIN, Feb 13, 2014.

1. I bought a mule deer cape on here measured 21 inches thight behind the ears. I realize a green cape had alot of strech but the seller of the cape said that he measured it to be 21 on the deer. Well anyways I used krowtann 2000 on this deer and tanned it thinned it and majicly it turned out to be 18 inches behind the ears...? Ive had several deer capes that I swear krowtann shrinks. Ive been doing taxidermy 6 years professionally and have used other wet tans that have some strech but krowtann doesnt give me anything. if anything it shrinks the cape. I dont know what the deal is. Any suggestions?

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Well, for starters, Krowtann uses twice the salt of a common pickle, which will shrink a skin. Review your neutralizing and relaxing procedures. I use a brush-on tan that recommends relaxing in 4 gallons of warm water with 2 lbs of salt and a degreaser. This puts plenty of stretch back into the cape.

3. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I have always used the whitetail formula. I can get an inch bigger than meat measurements. Some say that the 2000 formula is exactly the same as the whitetail, that it is just psychological marketing. If it is neutralized correctly and shaved properly, I get more. That is all I know. Perhaps it wasn't really a 21 inch to begin with. What was the E/N? I can stretch a green skin from behind the ears to kingdom come after it's skinned.

4. Nope its different. If you dont get the stretch you missed something. follow directions to the letter.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Well, I was called a liar on this before so being called one now won't make any difference. I had a 20 inch hide become a 17 after using Krowtann 2000. I followed the directions explicitly and I reshaved the hide and still didn't get my 20 inch deer back. I don't know if it was that batch or not because I had a customer bring in one from out west that had been tanned with Krowtann and it was exceptional, BUT I KNOW MY HIDE SHRUNK.

6. Mine did too! So I have shaved the hide now nice and thin. would it hurt to renutralize the cape and try to get some more strech out of it. and the eye to nose was 7.5 inches. Ive never neturalized it a second time would it hurt to do that with krowtann? I didnt mention but I used the Whitetail formula on just about everything.

7. Thanks Greg,
    I neturalized the cape 2.5 gallons of water 11 oz of baking soda for 15 mins. Then shaved it nice and thin. Would it hurt to neturalize it again?

8. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I can't call you a liar, George. I have never used KT 2000, only whitetail formula.

I have heard of people doing that. It even says in the instructions that if you don't get stretch then neutralize again.

I neutralize for like 30 minutes. I move the skin around often. You can over neutralize and the hair gets loose (I have heard...never seen it) so be careful. I think the wash in Tide is more important than people think. Don't substitute....don't skip it. I shave probably thinner than most people do. Maybe that is why I have had great luck. I have taken capes from a tannery and shaved them again before mounting them. (sometimes I make a booboo though and have to repair it).

9. Tannertroop

Tannertroop Member

I have gotten some more stretch by soaking the cape in some warm water with a small amount of fabric softener right before mounting. If it is a short incision, you can towel dry it and put your arms into the cape and twist them to stretch the hide. Or you can uwe tge tube method.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

10. nitt

nitt Member

I have tanned with both and prefer to use the whitetail,seems to come out softer but even when using original never had a single one shrink.I usually get more stretch but then again one mans shaved prepped hide may not be the nexts!

11. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Never used 2000 , only whitetail formula and always get good stretch ; I do know it says for large capes use more of every thing for your batch just a thought . Soon as you neutralize , the hide should stretch , but not till you shave and stretch do you get the original or larger neck measurement . :)

12. Thanks for the ideas! And i was using krowtann 2000 whitetail formula.