1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Just one of those days .. mounted and then took apart ..

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Amy, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

I mounted up a gamehead yesterday (a competition piece, might I add) .. spent about 4 hours working on it... and I was just not diggin' it. After trying to put my finger on it, I realized that I really disliked the eyes and the problem was that they were several mm too small. Among other issues. My fault, my bad judgement. I simply ordered the wrong size eyes and it just didn't really look bad until hide was on the form. New eyes gotta be ordered. Now in normal circumstances McKenzie would have them to me in 24 hours, but thanks to this ridiculous snowstorm, they were closed (still are). I contemplated bagging it up and just waiting however long that was needed. But then I thought, do I really want this wet animal soaking in a bag for up to a week? (because with the weekend and everything, it might take up to that long). Something with that didn't sit right with me. Not to mention the difficulty in re-setting new eyes with the hide on. So off came the hide. Washed off all the hidepaste. Pulled off all the clay. Cleaned the form. Put hide in freezer.

Talk about starting back to square one. I guess I'll just have to call yesterday an extensive test fitting session. Not too happy about the way things went, but what can ya do?? To do a good piece (especially when we're talking competition), you can't settle. The mount didn't look awful. In fact it would have been quite respectable as a commercial piece. But it was bugging me, and I just couldnt let it slide.

2. tem

tem Well-Known Member

lol. but you got to ask your self. what else would you be doing ;D. don't cry :'(. just be cool 8). hope it all works out for you ;).

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

You trusted your gut. Good move.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have never regretted trusting my gut. However I have regretted not trusting my gut. Good move on your part even though it sucks to redo hours of work.

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Just a fish guy, so please don't my head off because I'm asking out of ignorance. But, don't you mammal folks keep a supply of various sized eyes for regular animals that you mount? Or is that not cost-effective to do so?

6. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

Yeah, I do tend to keep a supply of various eyes. I have a whole cabinet full of eyes (especially deer, fox, bobcat, the usual). This was an animal that I don't do a lot of, and of course murphy's law says that I don't have the proper eye in stock for that!

7. FishArt

Thanks for the clarification Amy - I was wondering what it was b/c you didn't specify in your post. Yeah, I don't stock any eyes for Barracuda's or Sharks either - lol!

8. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    I usually order 3 sets of comp eyes, sometimes they arrive and they are not the color you thought they were according to the catalog. As eye's vary. Heck sometimes they are not even the same eye. But in your case it was the size that got you so ordering 3 pairs of the same size would have not helped. Anyhow good luck can't wait to see the finished mount. Plus if your clumsy like me and drop one then you'll be screwed.

9. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

Every time my instincts told me something was wrong on a competition piece, and I ignored it and said "its ok", those were the only flaws that judges picked out and cost me 1st place ribbons each time. Trust your gut.

10. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

Marty, it was an otter. Not an exotic but I do not do a lot of them, and I have a whole stock of various black bubble eyes but I won't use those for comp.! So, yep, kinda stuck until I get the right sized dark pupiled eye.

11. FishArt

Can't just trim a Flex Eye, eh? J/K - lol!