1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My turn at being used

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by duxrus, Feb 16, 2014.

1. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Got a call today from someone who saw a picture of my work on another taxidermists Facebook page where we was claiming that he just mounted it and was thanking peoples praises. Who is that bad off that they can't stand behind their own work . The person who originally saw the pics called them and the low life's got defensive about being questioned and that indeed was their work. Funny that the wood on my wall doesn't even match theirs. Not to mention the magic marker stripe on the wall that I put there. I have been trying to get intouch with them but haven't been able to. I can't wait for their explanation...

From a quick look at the pictures they have posted someone else's work has been borrowed since there are only two birds on there that look something other than a pile of feathers .

2. How wonderful Brian!

3. Sprigpig1

Sprigpig1 Member

That sucks Brian... I hope you give them an earful when you get ahold of them.

4. The Waterfowler

The Waterfowler New Member

That's carrying "Imitation being the most sincere form of flattery" a little too far.

5. Unfortunately it is all too common these days. Please let us know what he says in defense.

I see on Craigslist there is a guy claiming he just moved to a larger shop in the same small town I live in and now accepting more clients (as if he wasn't when in his previously smaller shop). No pics, no address, no name. I asked if I could come view his work, and funny, he hasn't responded. Betting if he had a website or Facebook it would be full of others work!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

The pictures are now gone and apparently a handful of HIS clients have crawled his butt about false advertismènt. Some have called me letting me know they have found out and going to demand their deposits and work back. One person recognized my pic from another site and stirred up the world via Facebook. I didn't even have to get envolved before others who didn't even know me personally took care of it. Karma got ahold of his butt with vengeance :)

7. Very good...bad guy done, let's move on...Kudo's duxrus.

8. Txrebel

Txrebel New Member

Looks like you got some advertisement out of he deal. I'd still probably smash his face for the point of it. Glad it got handled

9. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

This guy is beyond a waste of air.......He told one of the guys that if he didn't take his word on doing that work himself that he could come get his birds and deposit back (yesterday morning) When he called back (Yesterday afternoon) to tell him he would go that route, he was then told it was too late because his birds had been started. What BS....

But wait it gets even better....

He then tells the guy who blew the whistle on him that he will do his birds for free if he will shut up about the picture to all his facebook buddies....but still stands behind that it is his work but just doesn't need the headache.

He takes the picture off his site.....still saying it was his work but didn't want to have to keep defending himself against other's lies

I called Mr. Honest and after telling him who I was am told that he was sorry some guy was blowing something out of proportion and he had taken care of the confusion. I asked him what confusion there was other than him advertising with my work and lying his butt off about it to the world. I told him if you can't stand behind your own work that you need to find a new profession and I hoped this was severely biting him in the azz. I still don't think people like that have a dang clue. His personal work looks like crap (and I am putting down crap by saying so) what does he think his clients will say when they get handed what I call a Softball on a stick bird (one with a long straw neck and a softball sized head) ???

On a side note : What do people believe they will be getting for a 100$ and a 2 month turnaround to boot.....I know it is a dad and son business so I wonder if this is the dad who advertised "Taxidermy for the working man" where he said most of us were cheating the common folks by charging way too much....Wasn't he from KY too ?

10. Txrebel

Txrebel New Member

I'm surprised he took your call. Put a review for the business on google. Many people use it to find a location and go with a business based on reviews. Good way to prevent people from getting their birds ruined

11. jptaxi

jptaxi New Member

IL
    funny I just found some of my work on a site as well, you may want to check to see if some of yours is here too www.wildthingstn.com ... getting ready to call

12. Wow JP, that one is "wild"... they are obviously all from different people and several still have watermarks on them from other sites. That's irritating...

13. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

glad you got to talk to that asshole

14. jptaxi

jptaxi New Member

IL
    funny phone call..... he doesnt have a way to get ahold of the guy who built his website.. " and I tell my customers not to go off of the work on my website" lol

15. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon
    Thanks for the phone call, Brian. I called both numbers on the site. The alternative number on the contacts page was answered. The guy claimed to know nothing about taxidermy. He said he was a clock cleaner or something. He hung up on me. I left a message on the other number. We'll see how long my photo stays up there.

16. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon
    Update - I called the alternative number back again. I spoke with that guy. He is a carpet cleaner supposedly. He doesn't know how his number got used so I told him to go to the website to look into having it removed. The phone rang while I was talking to that guy. It was Nich from the "Wild" taxidermy site. He said he has received several calls, is only 19 years old, and is sorry for the trouble. He said he does hobby taxidermy and his dad had a friend set up a website for him. He has asked that individual to remove every picture from his site since they were all taken from someone else online and none of them are his. He makes it sound like it was done without him knowing about it ahead of time. We'll see where it goes. I told him to continue doing taxidermy if he enjoys it and try to have fun with it... Just don't get off on the wrong foot like that.

17. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Who thinks it is ever a good idea to advertise with someone else's products... Or better yet advertise with a website you apparently haven't seen ::)

Do you think he already had that speech memorized ;D

18. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon
    Probably.. Haha. As long as the photos, preferably the whole site, are down as soon as possible I don't care how misled he may be. Thanks again for the phone call. I appreciate it. Now its back to slinging duck fat.

19. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

The guy who told me about my problem just said the "borrower" is now claiming he just got around to posting that picture when asked how come I did back in 2009. He does so many mounts for people across the country he just got busy.....as far as it was his wall, now the client isn't allowed back to his shop even though he still has his birds. The taxidermist will meet him off site somewhere once they are finished. Me and the sheriff would be making a pick up visit.

I was going to show my wife the difference in the type of wood in his showroom compared to mine(since he must be color blind confusing grey from yellow, but magiclly all his taxidermy pics have vansihed. I wonder just how many were of others work like mine and the light bulb finally clicked on for him to correct his ways. Too bad because you could definitely tell there were other stolen pictures way above their skill level and I was going to post those to see if we couldn't figure out who did them.

Pat, Atleast you got an I'm Sorry. All I got was that "I" must be confused.... ;D

20. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon
    The kid called back yesterday and told me the pictures had all been removed and apologized again. Unexpected for sure. Weird deal. You gotta wonder what gets into people. Thanks again for the help there, Brian. Sounds like you're dealing with a completely different sort of attitude with that other guy.