1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tumbler drop for breaking hides???

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Western Rivers, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Western Rivers

Western Rivers Wolves are Idaho's #1 Poacher!

What is the mimimum drop needed to acheive a good soft hide, if i rember its 8 foot or so but i cant find it in the archives?

2. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Build a Sawdust Tumbler at least 6' High X 4' Wide - or bigger! You need the 6' drop to have the skins soften, and the width to keep the skins open and prevent folding them inward. Use 2 Bags of Sawdust (50# each). The load of skins or capes you put in the Drum, the sawdust, and the 6' drop, all contribute to softening the skins. A 6' Drum is usually run at about 16 rpm.

George and TIMBUCK like this.

3. Western Rivers

Western Rivers Wolves are Idaho's #1 Poacher!

Thanks Bruce! How come i cant find your saftee acid and other products in the supply catalogs anymore?

4. Bruce_Rittel

Hi Lee! Call Dan Rinehart's TASCO (866) 296-2782 (Toll Free) and request a Catalog! They now carry my products. I sold them to TASCO in 2007. Or - you can check the Home Page here and they are in the "Supplier" section. It will list the various products.

5. Rich bell

Rich bell New Member

Is
    Is there anyone that can tell me where I can find plans for a 6 or 8 foot tumble

I

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

How long are skins tumbled in a 6-8 foot tumbler?

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Same length as any other.

8. Bruce_Rittel

Usually the "Final Tumble" is normally 2 hours - then the skins or capes are Caged after tumbling to remove the sawdust to the Load! Usually about 45-50 minutes. Or more if needed. It will depend a lot on the fur, hair or wool involved!l

9. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Bruce I still need to order your tumbler plans.. Question: Do your plans call for a 220volt motor or a 120 volt motor?

10. Rich bell

Rich bell New Member

How can I get the plans for a tumbler I'll pay

11. Steve Cecil

Steve Cecil New Member

Hello rich,
    Did you get plans for a tumbler yet? I not I can draw you up a set of plans.

12. Bruce_Rittel

Go for the 220 Volt Motor. Keep the cost down a bit.

13. Bruce_Rittel

Another point to keep in mind if you build a 6' Tumbler - is to use an adequate Motor for the operation. The "Starting Torque" is best overcome using at least a 1 and 1/2 Hp Motor or larger. I would suggest a 2 Hp motor, 220 Volts to "efficiently" use the Tumbler successfully and reduce costs - its best to always try to run it full of skins. Their weight, plus the Hardwood Sawdust weight and the "Drop" contribute to its softening effect.

All the successful Tanneries I've worked for have used 6' X 4' Drums - but if they do a lot of African, Walrus or Large skins like Cowhides or Buffalo hides hair-on then sometimes they also use 1 Drum made 6' high but usually also 6' Wide to prevent the larger sized skins from folding in and forming a ball sometimes that merely tumbles but never softens. Your choice - also depending on the amount of room you have available!