1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

1st deer ordered cape 7.5x16 then suddenly 14. Neck is like a cone!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Jasons Taxidermy, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Jasons Taxidermy

Jasons Taxidermy Member

Zero shoulders too. I ordered the EDGE form for summer deer 7.25 just to have the right neck. Oh no it was way too big. What gives! Anyone ever have this problem or is this beginners bad luck?

2. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

Not sure exactly what you are asking, but it sounds like you either took the wrong measurements or ordered the wrong manikin.

3. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

Did you try stretching the cape?

4. Jasons Taxidermy

Jasons Taxidermy Member

Yes i tried stretching the cape and it did stretch some. Circumference at backboard was 44" cape was 37". Cape fit fine on the head and ears and even 3" below ears then the seam would not even come close to touching and got further apart down the neck and back. Yes obviously the wrong form but im also thinking the deer is freakish.

5. Do you have a rasp?...... fix it. I rarely have a perfect form. They all need something.

Sent from my XT907 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

6. TurkeyHill Wildlife

TurkeyHill Wildlife New Member

You are moving your skin to far back on the form, move it front till the seam comes together then sow it up. It will seem at first like you have way to much skin at the seam. But the extra skin will work out. Don't use and upright form if your a beginner. They are a little harder to get rid of the extra skin.

7. noid

noid Member

i"m by no means a expert but it almost sounds like you are having the same problem I had on my first deer the cape has stretched length ways making it thinner in the middle.if its split down the back you may be able to stretch it sideways then sew it most of the way back up before you pull it on.a hide will stretch a lot longer than it needs to and you have to taxi it forward to get it in the right place

8. Try pulling those stitches upward towards the head - it sounds like you may be working the girth away from the neck. Did you oil and sweat the cape overnight before stretching? Did you take meat measurements, not green skin measurements? That is safest measurements and then make sure the cape stretches back (or perhaps a little more) to that after oil and sweat.

9. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

Watch this video and note how the skin is stacked when he is sewing, always pushing the skin up the neck

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,362656.0.html

10. verne

verne Well-Known Member

CK out McKenzie 6500 line of forms ; are you sure on your eye to nose measurement . :)

11. Jasons Taxidermy

Jasons Taxidermy Member

Thanks everyone for posting. The deer is basically all NECK like mounting a giraffe on a deer form. Absolutely no shoulders! I rasped the shoulders off of my form and even the briskit hoping this would work. Nope. So i got mideival and cut the form in half horiz and vert and foamed it together. Now its a tiny deer body (fawnlike) and the cape still wont go onto it. Again the deer is a giraffe.So i put the cape back in the freezer, its a beautiful deer and well wet tanned by a reputable tanner. I will be buying me another cape and form soon. I feel like ive failed or did something wrong.

Ok any pointers or tutorials on stretching? Can you stretch 6-8inches? Should i build be a gizmo of a car jack and 2x4s to stretch the cape? Any help for my next deer will be appreciated and dont worry i have thick skin

12. Jasons Taxidermy

Jasons Taxidermy Member

No, I did not oil and sweat the cape over night. It came frozen wet tanned and oiled i just let it thaw in the trashbag it came in, did I forget to do something? Be brutal I need to know. I will look up sweating a cape. And yes it was an upright and now i can see their difficulty.

13. Was the cape split all the way down the back or did it have a small Y incision? If it was cut down the back you need to sow it up before mounting this will help a lot!

14. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Get in touch with the seller ; and ask for advice . Sounds like you have a young deer and you will need to match the neck size for a form ; you will find it won`t be 7.5 E to N good luck . :)

15. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Sweating the cape means to have it wet and placed in a plastic bag in the frige over night. Wet meaning after it's drained for a while not soaking wet. The cape soaks up as much water as it can and allows it the stretch out easier. I wash my wet tans and then sweat them up. It works for me. Good luck.

16. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

It is probably drying out and perhaps not shaved enough to begin with. If you soak it up and shave it some more you wouldn't believe how it will open up. Being a beginner, you have probably had it out looking at it and test fitting it over and over. the whole time your furnace is running and it is losing moisture and contracting. Perhaps too, it wasn't cut long enough and is missing enough shoulder. You should post a pic of the briskit so we can see if there is enough there. If you leave a skin off the form too long it will shrink like a wet wool sweater.

17. Jasons Taxidermy

Jasons Taxidermy Member

it was long y cut so I will have to sew it up that should help. Greg thanks that's exactly what happened! Dead on. I left it out. At least Im making my mistakes now and learning from them. I will call the tannery and get their advise on sweating it and stretching it.

18. Jasons Taxidermy

Jasons Taxidermy Member

Excellent vid B.S.Ohare very helpful. Let me know how much slack there should be and the stacking. Thanks

19. verne

verne Well-Known Member

sew it up like a shout cut before mounting ;)

20. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

i have never herd of a deer having a 7.5 eye to nose measurement and a 16 neck never seen that?