1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

3D printing and it's impact on the taxidermy industry.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by SpringCreek94, Feb 18, 2014.

1. What's peoples thoughts on how 3D printing will or will not affect the future of the taxidermy industry?

2. Beartowntaxi

Beartowntaxi New Member

I think scanning could have a real impact on repro fish. I have been keeping up with some of these products being put out now and they are starting to get affordable.

3. Well if you look back, this was just covered a couple months ago.

Yea mount up one really nice fish and create a school with CAd and a printer.

4. RTF

RTF Active Member

Yep started by yours truly;D

5. If you men don't mind, could you direct me to this thread from a couple months ago because I can't find it and I must be missing something in the search.

6. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Well maybe my CAD background will once again prove worthwhile - lol!

7. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

There was a thread about this not too long ago, IIRC. Personally, I think it will help us more than hurt us. I can see it having a multitude of applications. When the printers become more affordable as well as the software becoming more user friendly I think it will be a gold mine. Buy a pack for lets say a squirrel lifesize body. You can enter the exact dimensions you need in the software and the printer will print a form of the perfect size to fit the skin. Replica fish, noses, teeth, etc will also be on the plate. I've seen some of the stuff that's being printed now and it's looking good. A friend of mine collects GI Joe figures and he orders bits and pieces for them that are 3D printed like little rifles and guns and the detail is incredible. I feel this technology could be translated to taxidermy very easily.

8. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Right now, the technology has very little use in our industry. The 3D printed parts that I have seen lack the fine detail needed for most taxidermy applications. The resolution is no where near that of a reproduction part that is cast with liquid plastic or foam. The surface of the things I have seen would still require sanding in order to be smooth in appearance. Think of it like this....you could easily print a handle for a knife. It would resemble what most modern type pocketknife handles look like. You can not print a finely detailed, ornate handle for a custom, high-end knife....at least not with the consumer-type machines that are on the market now. The same goes with taxidermy applications. You could print a nose for a something like a deer archery target, but definitely not one detailed enough for a mount. The things that I see that it could be useful for are printing something like a replacement nose that is going to have the skin placed over it. The problem is that in the time it takes for the printer to make that part, you could have poured a couple of them in a single mold for much cheaper.

I think the technology is heading towards producing more detailed parts faster, but it isn't there yet. The current 3D printers are basically the equivalent of the dot-matrix printers when they first came out compared to the modern laser or ink jet printers. 5-10 years from now, we will be having a different conversation. I believe the 3D printers will get fast enough, detailed enough, and cheap enough to replace molding/casting of all kinds of taxidermy parts.

9. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Keep in mind that you have to get a 3D design into the machine. That involves a 3D scanner of some sort. Add aother $1,000 or more to the cost of actually being able to do something with it yourself.