1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Red/grey fox

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by kurtro08, Feb 18, 2014.

1. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

I am here working on some fox pieces getting them skinned out and tanned. I'm look at carcasses with and with out hide on them and can't notice much of an anatomy difference.
    Is it just that the face on red fox is longer?
    I'm wondering because the pose one of the guys heart is set on is a grey fox(his is red)
    Is it as easy as ordering the grey and sculpting a new face?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attached Files:

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Not sure how you can tell anything by looking at them laying there dead. Compare your carcass tracings, muscle and bone measurements, and skulls then report back.

3. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

The skull is definitely different. As far as body I have two carcass next to one a another and they measure really close.
    The grey fox look a little more muscular but not a ton of difference.

4. cameron2

cameron2 Member

There is more different than there is similar.

They come from different genus . . . they originated from different areas . . .

The gray's legs are shorter, stouter and its foot is rounder than the red's. It has long, curved, sharp claws so it can climb trees. Its the only canine on this continent that can climb trees.

Its neck is thicker, stronger and shorter than a red. Their fur is also vastly different. The red is a soft, silky fur and the hairs are more uniformly constructed. A gray's fur is coarser, almost grizzled and is comprised of several different colors.

Then there is the head. A gray has a shorter, stubbier snout, while a red has a longer, more graceful muzzle. They also have different bone structure (one of the reasons they are different genus). Skin a red and a gray and lay the carcasses side by side and the differences in their anatomy will become readily apparent.

5. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

Ill post pic first thing in the mornin of carcass side by side. There is only an inch different in length of two fox, but a 1/4" difference in length of legs.
    What I was getting at is it jould be anymore than a few hours of work to alter the grey to a red.
    I said the head is noticeably different. That is the one thing that definitely stands out. I would definitely start off by lengthening snout or just completely using a replacement head.
    As far as muscular structure it looks similar. However I haven't studied extensively on the differences as some as you have.

Thanks for your knowledge and sharing it.

6. RedWolf7

RedWolf7 New Member

Greys are more delicate and catlike than reds.

7. There are a lot of red fox forms out there. Unless it is something really different, I would think that altering an existing red fox form that is somewhat close would be easier than trying to turn a grey fox in to a red fox.