1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What is your favorite knife for skinning smaller mammals - coyotes, bobcats, etc

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by RedWolf7, Feb 18, 2014.

1. RedWolf7

RedWolf7 New Member

What would you recommend as a good knife for skinning animals from fox size to coyote size? Around the face I'll continue using a scalpel, but a bigger knife would be more efficient for the opening incisions in the back of the thighs across the anus.

2. RTF

RTF Active Member

Xacto knife. Not sure if I spelt it right, but that's what I like

3. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Same as Cliff.

4. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

For skinning I use a scalpel with the #60 blade on everything large to small.

5. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Victorinox. I buy 2 or 3 a year. Don't know how you would do taxidermy without it. :)

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    A sharp one. ;) All kidding aside I prefer a knife that I bought about 20 years ago. It was produced by Imperial, which subsequently was purchased by Shrade, who discontinued the line. Sucks. My two favorite knives were made by them, one a folding knife and one a fixed blade. They were not expensive to buy. The blades are stainless steel and hold a razor sharp edge well.

7. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

Those are great knives Randy. I use the scalpel for skinning and the Victorinox for everything else.

8. duxdown

duxdown New Member

X2 on above in the hook bill and a #22 scalpel

9. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I use a #10 scalpel for almost everything.

10. My favorite !!

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/855877/havalon-piranta-edge-folding-skinning-knife-275-60xt-stainless-steel-scalpel-blade-abs-handle-orange?cm_vc=ProductFinding

11. RedWolf7

RedWolf7 New Member

3 Bears, is the knife you are talking about the Shrade sharp finger?

12. Been using VICTONOX for nearly 20+ years now....razor sharp out of the plastic.........love their serrated blade types also for skinning bears while in Alaska......I'll skin a whole bear with one......feet and all.. and it doesn't get too dull.............buy them by the dozen when I go to Alaska. WASCO use to sell them.....both Research and McKenzie sell them

13. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Redwolf7, Are you saying that maybe Shrade did continue making it under their name?

14. RedWolf7

RedWolf7 New Member

The sharp finger was made by Schrade but discontinued. I bought an older one from a man who no longer needed it. But I'm always interested to see if there's something even better!

15. RedWolf7

RedWolf7 New Member

olytax, thanks! I'll check them out! Is there any particular blade shape that you like (curved vs straight, for example)?

16. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

I use a #10 scalpel blade for most of it and sometimes switch to a #15 for the toes, feet, eyes, and lips if it is a smaller sized fox.

17. I like the straight blade the most..........I go through about two of them a year.........and I use them on a daily basis...they sharpen easily and maintain an extremely good edge with a ceramic stick "steel". I have found that when I buy a new ceramic stick if I sand the surface with fine sandpaper when brand new it saves the time on break in of the ceramic surface. When I need to clean the ceramic stick surface I use Comet to clean the surface of the dark metal impregnated stick, it sure sharpens quicker and more easily after doing this cleansing. I drop the ceramic stick quite often, the reason why I buy a new one more often than new knives......so if you drill a hole in the end of the handle and attach a string to it.....long enough to prevent floor surface contact, this will save you some money and heartache.

The serrated edge knife is a great one for kitchen use.....it will stay usuable for years without loosing most of its edge and is a great one time skinner for large game.

18. Dexter Russel beaver knife along with a Russel pelting knife.