1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Just a damn good day.........

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by michael p., Feb 19, 2014.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Most perfect day at work ever for me, a small shop owner.........NOTHING GOES THIS GOOD EVER :) LOL Slept in till 7:30 and showed up at 9:00 (well, that's kinda normal) and started the day tired (I've been a little burnt out lately)....anyways. I have customer who is the most NORMAL guy in the world show up. He had 3 ducks, an elk & '8 old ducks' he brought me. OK, mount 3 ducks our studio put out, an elk, and 8 OLD duck mounts on a LONG stick we arranged for him. He shows up in his 2002 ford, as normal, pays & 'Houston, we have a problem"....... the 6' stick will not even think about fitting in his truck. Well me being in my burnt out, get me to an early lunch (I know his address is just 15 miles away from a bakery that has the best cheeseburgers in Texas) offers to just load them in the trailer and haul them to his house. (honestly, I did NOT want to be at work today....I LOVE this business, but there are those days......) So I make this HUGE 20 mile journey to deliver the birds in a trailer (hey, I'm out of my shop!!! Whoo-hoo, let's GO!)

[​IMG]

So we make the 20 mile treck (we being me & my employee.....he's tired, but loyal also) to his house with the 'old' ducks that would not fit knowing 15 miles beyond that is the 'perfect' cheeseburger complete with homemade hamburger bun. Expecting to drive up to a house, I was amused to drive up to an electronic gate......hmmm.....what's back here? To cut to the chase, I love simple people who hide their eloquence's for finer things to themselves, they are interesting. I will just say that this simple man whom I have worked for a few years has a treasure hidden. Simple explanation, he has what we call a barndiminium off from the house with big sliding barn doors, inside he keeps all his mounts from his previous address, but also when he slides the doors open for me to hand the 'old' ducks which he treasured to him, along with the new......there's a friggin Aston Martin & Rolls Royce in the barndiminium....... got a Grand Tour of what a simple man (or woman) like all of us are can achieve when we do not see a wall, fence or cumbersome object in our way....all we know is to move forward, he says that's all he knew, no boundaries.

[​IMG]

Now remind you, I don't wanna work today, I am literally kinda worn out and looking at all we have to do (for a small shop, we got a lot and more big projects) & I'm also looking at a short vacation coming up Thursday-Sunday-back to work Monday and I'm thinking (I can clock out at 4 and who would know)........you know, that 'slack off week'.

Well my phones going off, I ignore it looking at the barndiminium & check it on the way to get the cheeseburger 15 miles ahead as we leave......this is what I ignored.....

[​IMG]

well......the day just got different. Ate cheeseburger, dropped employee back off at work, getting ready to leave and there's a call....can I drop off 2 ducks? Now understand, I HATE DUCKS!! I mounted a couple of hundred as a TEENAGER and as an adult.......it's like eating liver....spoiled liver......until I found a good wholesaler ;) So I take in 2 ducks real quick ($365 a duck, $180 wholesaler......you do the math :) ) now I gotta go get these animals...I call, discuss price.........I'm on the ROAD!! Thinking 250 miles round trip which is includes a beautiful trip through the Texas Hill country is worth my tank and a half of gas just for scenery & relaxing nerves......well, it wasn't 6 animals at all, I'm finally home & had the funnest days I ever had. Had the day off from 'in the shop' but life fell in place to make it a great day for the shop, I love how things work out & the simple hustle rejuvenates you to kick the world in the ass!

[​IMG]

I love this business and it's eclectic clientele :) I'm finally home listening to Willie & Mearle sing 'Poncho & Lefty' in the headphones, wanting 7:30 to come so I can get back into work!!

2. Harvestmoontaxi

Harvestmoontaxi Lake of the woods walleyes

Nice haul Mike,way to keep the economy going! Great enthusiasm!!

3. Man, I can use one of those days. Good for you, everybody needs one of them once in a while.

4. Wow .what a great day. It must have been something in this nice Texas weather-because I had a pretty good day myself

Attached Files:

5. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Your right....it's the Texas the weather. I got a call for 2 pheasants and 5 ducks yesterday.

6. gab

gab Active Member

Something in the air.15 shoulders and lifesizes so far this week and another truckload coming from a ranch tomorrow.i get excited when I'm doing Michael P type numbers.

7. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Dang it Mike, that Dodge only gets 250 miles to a tank and a half of fuel? Heck all that talk of cheeseburgers got me hungry.

8. michael p.

I had some left over..... but I did only average 10 miles per gallon yesterday..... I wasn't worried about saving money, I was worried about making it!

9. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Those are some fine looking trophy's. Hope you had help skinning and fleshing those bad boys out. I got brave and fleshed, turned and salted a gemsbok, elk and a Aoudad last Saturday and boy did that put a crimp in my neck. Should have started with the Gemsbok first, darn thing had an inch of fat on him. You gonna try and make it to NM show this year Mike. It will be in Las Cruces again and it will take place on May 15th-18th, oh and bring that Jerry feller with you. LOL Hope you all can make it.
    regards, Geno

10. michael p.

Will probably make it Geno. We skinned, bagged & tagged everything, I wholesale all the splitting, turning, salting, fleshing & tanning out :)

11. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Heck ya, sounds good.

12. Gary B.

Gary B. Active Member

Yep- something is in the air- Even up here in the north country. Got in 5 fish replicas in the last 3 days, this is what I usually do in 6 months for replicas- people must be getting their tax refunds LOL

Gary B.

13. gab

gab Active Member

maybe Obama finally turned around the economy just like he said he would.

14. grumpa

grumpa Active Member

Must be something in the air, cause it sure ain't Obamma.

15. Bones N Beasts

Bones N Beasts New Member

I had a lot of work come in this week too, well for me, NO THANKS TO OBAMA

16. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

It's not happening across the whole state! I've only taken in 1 oryx (died natural cause) since probably mid December. :-\ First time since I started 10yrs ago that numbers went down, and they dropped almost in half. Horrible hunting season around here. MLD ranches ends this weekend, and they still have a pile of tags left because they can't even find any deer. They will not come out in daylight and still not hitting corn like normal.

I figure exotics will be big this spring/summer since nobody shot any WT. We will see?