1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Another Piebald deer

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Rick Carter, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

A piebald deer is a whitetail that has an extra chromosome. The feet are splayed, the metatarsal bones (shins) are about 2 to 3 inches shorter than a normal deer, the tail is longer in length, and some have Roman noses (humped). Sometimes, they have prognathia (an underbite). This ones features borderlined more toward those of a normal whitetail.This deer was killed by David Osborne of Watkinsville, GA. On Sallie Dahmes' farm. The deer is a 6 1/2 year old and scored 142. It was skinned out using a case incision from the tarsals to the anus and one straight incision from antler to antler. I also split the tail. I cut around the hooves and skinned up high enough to saw off the leg bones and not cut the skin. Artificial feet were made using RTV and Por-A Cast.

I took the mount out in the yard and took these photos with a macro lense.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Meagan

Meagan New Member

When I first saw the picture I thought it was a real deer...then I read the post about it and realized that it was a mount!!! Beautiful! I have always dreamed of seeing one in the wild.

3. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Don't leave it out in the yard too long, those boys down in Georgia might just open fire. Great looking mount.

4. sealow

sealow Member

That is an awesome mount! If funds permit this year or next I plan on taking up a training session with you Rick. Your work is truly inspiring.

5. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

That is freakin awesome. When I look at that I'm picturing how much of an idiot I'd look like wrestling with that thing on the floor trying to get it together through a case incision. Beautiful job.

6. silverbuck

silverbuck New Member

Awesome,awesome mount Rick.

7. Mason

Mason Active Member

Beautiful piece Rick!

8. I thought I was seeing a photo of a live deer at first... Wow, great work.

9. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

Ha! I thought it was alive too! No joke! I thought he was posting it for a reference photo.

10. Jason L

Jason L New Member

Again as always rick , great job!

11. Jason L

Jason L New Member

Great job rick!

12. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Beautiful. Great work!

13. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Rick, Beautiful mount! Thank you for the education also. We have a piebald doe on one of our leases and have always said "man she's stocky" . Now we know its cause her legs are shorter!

14. Rick Carter

LOL Gurney, It's not as difficult as it may seem. The form is cut into sections with angled V cuts. The head is cut at the shoulders. Both front legs are cut as one section from the external tuberosity midway through the chest back to the belly. The back legs are also one piece cut where the leg tucks would be. The head is screwed to the mounting stand and mounted first just like a shoulder mount. The antlers are not placed yet. After the shoulder mount is done the mounting stand is attached to the still open head block. Next, the front legs are slid into place and attached to the chest (shoulder mount) using Bondo. The mid section is then slid into the sock and attached to the shoulders and legs. Finally the rear end is slid into the legs and glued to the mid section. Remember the legs? the foam was removed from the form midway through the shin bones but the leg rods were left intact. The artificial hoof/legs were drilled so that they mount up through the hole where the hooves used to be. The union is super glued and epoxied. The "mount is taken off of the mounting stand and stood up onto the base. The antlers are attached last because they only get in the way. No visible seams anywhere. I hate sewing because it's boring and uses up valuable time that can be used to make critical adjustments. The last hour is the most important time and it's not good if you are tired from all that sewing.

15. Beautiful!

16. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

Your like the mad scientist of taxidermy!! I may have to give that a try on a personal mount first(just in case a leg winds up MIA in the process). Thanks for taking the time to explain that, the mounting to the head block is something I never would have thought about! Great stuff

17. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

I have not yet mounted anything tubed by assembling the form inside the skin, and I have a question. I see how the pieces are reattached, but then how are those seams aligned and blended so that they don't show through the skin?

18. Rick Carter

Pre fitted with Bondo. Any further seams are smoothed out with clay

19. KansasBuck

KansasBuck New Member

very, very nice.

20. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Ok Rick, your the man. One more question from the peanut gallery here. How in the heck did you test fit it.