1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bad case of "Lumpy jaw" in marsupial

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Orkman-X, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Orkman-X

Orkman-X New Member

Thought I'd share this one with you guys.
    I've seen some milder cases of oral necrobacillosis in marsupials before but this old wallaby must be the worst so far.
    the desease is also described here: http://www.marsupialsociety.org/jaw_disease2.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

enjoy.

rgds

marc

2. AH7

AH7 New Member

Man, that must have been a miserable kangaroo!

3. Bones N Beasts

Bones N Beasts New Member

My jaw hurts after seeing that lol

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Ow. I have read about koalas getting that too. Looks fatal in the end.

5. That's so cool! Did the jaw have a pustulant mass where the lumps are?

6. Orkman-X

Orkman-X New Member

While frozen, I saw something was wrong, looked like a brick logged in its mouth.
    I took him out for thawing and skinning and yes, just like you say, it looked like the puss was seeping through its skin. I didn't even get to skinning, threw it in first maceration-container available, by itself. I was too disgusted to skin. I sent these pics to my vet who breeds macropods and he can't understand why they didn't put it down earlier... the pain must have been excruciating for a very long time. the pics don't even do justice to how big it is... Ill try to take one from the front. funny thing is dentition is still 100% complete although sockets are close to gone (loose teeth not in pics) ....

7. That's so weird. The first thing that came to mind when I saw this was the "squirrel McNastyface" video from the Brain Scoop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iko2eExc08

At the end they put his head in with the beetles and his cleaned skull looks very similar to your kangaroo.

8. howdoththelilcrocodile

howdoththelilcrocodile New Member

You beat me to it! That video had me gagging but I couldn't look away. Poor McNastyFace.