1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

attach rack to form question?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Leroy22, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

my first WT. is there a certain distance back from the eye to set the rack on the form?

thanks

2. BigBear_410

BigBear_410 New Member

Take your cape and measure from the corner of the eye to where the horns would be and do the same on your form. That is what I did starting out. Good luck

3. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Usually the base of the antlers are 2 fingers width from the eye, but this is just in general. People have different thicknesses of fingers. Also if you do a search, you should be able to find a tutorial on antler setting that has the correct angle.

4. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

Test fit your hide on the manikin and then add the skull plate. That way you know it will be right. Once the hide is on the form you can fit the antlers lining them up and trimming the skull plate so that they will fit perfectly.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Put the cape on the form, pin the eyes down where they will be around the sockets, then set the rack on top and the burr hole skin will tell you EXACTLY where to set the rack every time.

6. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Hey I use to just eye it, and that worked most of the time but on occasion it got me in trouble and caused the wife to tell me I needed Jesus from the sounds emanating from the shop ! I do like Low T now. I leave myself what I feel is enough slack for clay work and fit my antlers last really. I don't even model my eyes till the cape is on. That way I never bump or screw it up its the last step before pulling the thing together and grabbing thread.

7. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

Thanks for the info,some good advice

Leroy

8. Nick7

Nick7 New Member

Amen to that!!

9. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

If you measure on the head before skinning, from the front orbital bone to the front of the antler burr is between 2 3/4 -2 7/8. I get this on 90% of deer I get in. Unless its a yearling I get 2 1/2. To get antler height set, measure in a straight line from the center of the front nostril opening across the lachrymal crease you should hit the bottom of the antler burr. Check that on your next dee , almost a given.