1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Finally my 2009 buck mount completed

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by litefeather, Feb 22, 2014.

1. litefeather

litefeather New Member

I've been beating around the bush on getting to this deer. This is my 2009 bow harvest from Ohio. I used a Gene Smith full sneak W04 series from HQ Taxidermy but raised the head position about 2" for a heads up pose.

I passed this deer the night before at 45yds as he came in alert and down hill from me. I was at full draw but didn't feel good about the distance. He looked like a mile away with me 20' up a tree and on top of a ridge looking down hill. I thought that was it but the very next night I harvested him from the same tree at 12yds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JohnB

JohnB Member

Congrats on a great deer and very nice mount

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

That is one hell of a deer. Just imagine if you took the first shot and made a bad hit and couldn't find the deer. Congratulations and those are some ridicules brow tines.

4. Bones N Beasts

Bones N Beasts New Member

That's a beautiful buck I bet you was glad to get him finished

5. mmwtdh

mmwtdh Member

Nice deer......

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I love posts like this. Not only did you do a fine job on the mount, you took a bruiser of a buck. The best part of it is the lesson that patience pays off. Congratulations on letting him go and not having the mind set that It's a buck of a life time so I got to chance it. You where handsomely rewarded for your ethical decision.

7. Great deer bud. Dreambuck for sure. Good job on the mount also.

8. litefeather

litefeather New Member

Thanks tanglewood. I honestly thought I'd never see him again. He knew I was there as I grunted when he came in to my left. I didn't know he was there at the time of my grunt though. He then proceeded to circle downwind trying to pick me which he did. I was so frustrated about it. Already thinking my buddies back home would be like, yeah he was that big so I kept my mouth shut. I had several hot doe in the area so he couldn't resist.

The following year I passed on a mid 180 class buck at about the same distance as he was also alert to a doe nearby. I never saw that deer the rest of my hunt. Its a chance you take but wounding a trophy animal like that would haunt me more then passing.

The muscle detail in the neck was brushed out so it wasn't so defined as shown after I got him hung in the house.

9. mikehurt88

mikehurt88 Member

Those brow tines are unbelievable..very nice deer and mount..Congrats

10. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

Holy shat that's a beast! Congrats, nice job all the way around!

11. Matt

Matt Active Member

Very nice! Glad to see I am not the only one putting their stuff off. My goats are still in the freezer from 2009!

12. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

What a great buck! Nice work as well. Did you have him measured?

13. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

That's a real nice Deer. Congrats

14. silverbuck

silverbuck New Member

Awesome litefeather !!!!

15. roonie

roonie Member

if you dont mind me asking...just for the heck of it....what did he score.

16. litefeather

litefeather New Member

He nets 181" believe it or not but that's not official

17. mccraw23

mccraw23 New Member

Beautiful mount!

18. jorgy

jorgy Member

The elk in my avatar is from 2006. Still in the freezer

19. litefeather

litefeather New Member

What stinks is I have a couple more that I want to mount but I've been flooded the last few weeks with drop offs. I've taken in more deer since end of January as I did in season