1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Please critique 12th whitetAil

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by bbt17, Feb 23, 2014.

1. bbt17

bbt17 New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The thing that really sticks out to me is the lacrimal crease or lack of and open " tear duct". There is a spot under the ear butt that looks like brown apoxie or a bald spot. The reason I see it is because it is a different color of brown.

3. bbt17

bbt17 New Member

Yes I am aware of these areas of improvement it pulled away during dry time I guess due to lack of attention on my part

4. Mason

Mason Active Member

Have you ever bagged your mounts to slow down the dry time? Gives you more of a chance to watch them from day to day. When we use to have our capes Krowtanned, it was a must, too much pulling while drying. The bag gives you time to go over the mount for a few days.

5. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Get a nose cast or reference when carving out the nostrils . :)

6. bbt17

bbt17 New Member

I use rhineharts tanning cream truthfull I guess I have never been able to form lacremal crease correctly

7. Mason

Mason Active Member

Well, don't knock anyones tanning choice. Usually folks find what works for them. I was just going off your lack of attention comment. We all run into things that pull us away from projects from time to time. just wanted to share the bag thing with Ya, for the next time if they are pullin on Ya. You can find time to work them as they dry.

8. bbt17

bbt17 New Member

No sorry I wasn knockin anyone I was stating what I have been using I appreciate everyone's input

9. Mason

Mason Active Member

I'm sory buddy, that was meant to say, I don't knock lol. Made a big difference with my horrid typing lol. Try the bag next time if they are pulling on Ya and Ya don't have the extra time to baby sit em.
    You're doing very well !

10. bbt17

bbt17 New Member

Thanks I'm entertaining the thought of doing some classes with Steven Klee I know it would be well worth my time

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

For the first time in about 15 years I had a deers lacrimal crease drum. I just injected water into the drummed area then wet a cotton ball and put over each drummed area. I took saran wrap around the head to hold the cotton balls on. The next day I injected hide paste into the drummed area and put them in. Problem solved.

12. Big thing that I notice is the hair grooming especially on the shoulders the hair should flow down to shed water

13. tem

tem Well-Known Member

your antlers look like there tilted forward a bit. and the ears look like there a little long. the ear canail looks a little high from the head. push the ears down in to the head so the ear canails are about an inch above the head.

14. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

The brisket looks a little rough and the armpit area doesn't look right. Too much white hairs on the outside of the legs. Should be in the armpit.

15. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

The skin coming from the ear to the pedicle; should run down to the skull-----then UP to the pedicle. It does not run straight into the pedicle.

16. WildArt2013

WildArt2013 New Member

The same mistakes you make everyone else makes from time to time, the Briskit looks ok but remember the armpit hair stays in the armpit. Tack the brisket and take some necking material or backing rod and pin the armpit area, till it dries. The eye color is a little pale for the eye skin. And needs an eye lid crease. I cut a " small" slit on the form for the tear duct. It helps it hold better. I think the nose looks good. If a customer would like it that's all that matters. But if you like me I'm a freaking perfectionist. But no matter what when you look at it your proud of your art and can honestly say your getting better then keep on keeping on.