1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

MAKE A CAPE BIGGER

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jake7719, Feb 23, 2014.

1. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

I need a 8in + NE and at least 26in neck WTD cape. I will never find it at a reasonable price. Has anyone ever put to capes together to make a really large cape? It is for a remount of a state record WTD shot in 1952 in PA.

I got a 7 3/4 by 22 but the with of the skull is to small. The distance from antler burr to burr is all most 6 in on the record deer.

I think if I put a strip of cape from between the the top of the head running down the back of the neck and shoulders will work. Will take a lot of form alerations also.

Let me know what you think, any help.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I think it's a bad idea. If it is a customer's they should have payed you a deposit to purchase a larger cape. If not, save up to get the proper cape. No fuss no muss. Now if you want a huge challenge that will probably look, not good, then go for it. I don't know your skill level so maybe you can you can make it look good, but I wouldn't try it on someone else's deer.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Think outside the box. Use your 73/4X22. Split the head and put a small wedge in the split to make the skull a bit wider. Your hide will stretch. Personally, I'd order a 7 1/2 form with as big a neck as I could get. That way when you expand the skull, the extra hide will work in your favor.

4. John L

John L Active Member

Are you measuring the mounted deer over the hair? If its thick haired you could be looking at a 24 inch cape not a 26 inch. I would check with the client and see if the one you have is big enough.

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Why would you frankenstine a record book mount? Find the biggest cape you can and use it. I'm guessing that if you do a good job with the biggest cape you can find, the customer will be happy. 6 inches inside or outside? The majority of the racks I have in the shop now are around 6" outside. If you in fact mean inside, good luck.

6. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Jake, If you are measuring the old form DON'T!! Search the post Remount from 1964. That is a deer we did last month. The old red rosin form measured 26". We remounted the rack on a 20" form, with a 20 inch cape. I'm sure you can get a "big" cape, mount the deer and the client will be pleased. Our forms of today are "bigger" looking than then. Just a thought, before you go into to the putting two capes together, although I would like to see that done.

7. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I got a monster cape from Jody aka NorthernMontana on here. Was the way to go and not too bad a price. Remember that whether you put the money in hours of fudging it or just buy a big cape makes no difference. Time equals money. Save yourself the agony and just do it right. Use the smaller cape another time. It will balance out in your favor.

8. Buy a cape close to what you need, that price should have been in the original quote to the client , so it shouldn't b an issue, check out Eastcoastcapes.com

9. WILD BROOKIES

WILD BROOKIES JOIN EBTJV SAVE A RESOURCE

checked all the PA game records none for 1952 in ant catagory closest was 1951 from blair county typical 182 score is this the deer you speak of jake its now #4

10. intohunting

intohunting Member

AZ
    I would apply Krow-oil. I have used it on several deer capes and have gained 2" in the neck measurement (without any distortion to the hair patterns). I also used it on a bobcat that I had trouble getting it to fit in the belly area (worked great). But don't expect miracles. The instructions that came with the Krow-oil claimed to have gained 3", but I never came close to that. Here is a post with other testimonials: http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,289360.msg1999649.html#msg1999649 Good luck, Craig

11. ziffle

ziffle New Member

This should be in the beginners category.

12. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

The Definition of Modern Taxidermy.....
    ....The art of making a simified process into a complex procedure,,,,,

Just buy a big as needed cape that will do justice to the antlers, not all the biggest deer had the largest racks,,,,,

13. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

Doing what George said, Then adding hide between the antler burrs. ( it is 5 6/8 inside from antler to antler :() it is a difference of 1in. the eyes should then fall into place. I'll give it a "Roam Nose" like the old one.

The person who is doing it said it was killed in 1952 but not certain what county. It is a 10 point that is vary heavy and wide with great symmetry.

The Measurement at the base of the neck "tight" is 26in but the cape is thinner short haired. 24-25 ish Meat measurement.

14. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I still think it is a mistake to cut pieces off of another cape and add them to a "too small" cape when you can buy a cape that fits. If it is the cost that causes you to make this decision then it was your mistake not to take in the appropriate deposit for a larger cape. You would save future heart aches by getting the right sized cape. I try to give the customer the best quality I can give them and frankenstein deer, for me, don't qualify.

15. livbucks

Please post pics when done. you have us all interested!

16. jorgy

jorgy Member

Just because the was a state record doesnt mean it had a 26" neck

17. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

26" ? "base of neck"? as in way down the neck??? Get a 22 to 23 inch cape and mount it.

18. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

im new to this but im pretty mental so my first cape was like 5" short of going around the form, i used krowtann 2000 and i don't have any way but a grinder to thin,seemed to have shrunk alot but had plenty of streach so i clamped two 3/4"x2"x18" boards on the edge of both sides of the hide and hung one side with the center clamp and then hung a large car battery,concrete block and a piece of railroad track on the other side and let it hang awile. even put more body weight on it. after doing that it was more than enouph to go around the form. worked for me,

19. livbucks

If you came up short still, you could have hooked it between two front loaders and slowly backed them up. I find that works well in a pinch. I once took a fawn skin and made it into a lifesize elk. Saved me a ton of money. Just remember to keep spraying it with water and then hold it in the stretched position for 9 minutes before releasing. Right before mounting you spritz it down with Suave max hold hairspray to freeze it to that size. Good luck outthere!

20. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

LMAO!! **^^^