1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Odd request for fish skin. Please help!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by FishDog, Feb 24, 2014.

1. FishDog

FishDog New Member

Hey guys, I'm looking for someone to make me a replica brown/rainbow trout skin layer that I can add over my blank. Not the real skin, just a thin flex layer that is made from maybe fiberglass resin or fin resin. Details can be hashed out once I find the help. It's an odd request, I know, but surely someone can do this. Any size around 18-28".

2. FishDog

FishDog New Member

Guys, 172 views and no replies with help?? We're better than that!

3. Metal Man

Metal Man New Member

Wish I could help but no idea how that would be done. Looking to learn
    Something here , I'm pretty creative but can't imagine
    How that would happen. Have you heard of such a thing ?

4. Metal Man

Metal Man New Member

I can make you a blank but that's about it. I have several sizes.

5. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Make a mold, then a silicone mold of the inside of the rigid mold ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

If,..............

If you had an outer layer of flexible material you could make the fish wag his tail and fins. :)

Kerby...

7. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

It would be the same as a repro, why go through those steps to acheive the same results with much less hassle and you'll still have to buy the repro head...........it can be done with a silicone product but why.........The rubber/silicone skin would have to be also very thin to replicate the trout skin so the blank better be butt smooth or you'll see every imperfection.......in other words, if you're thinking of using an existing Brown trout blank and putting the "skin" over it, you'd probably have to sand the detail out of it. I'm assuming your request is budget motivated as you have the blank already? Or you already have the foam and you carved the body?.........get a repro IMO

8. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    Years ago there was an article in one of the trade publications describing how a taxidermist was making 'trophy' or record sized fish by carving the body and then making a latex----using flexible or 'moldintg' latex --- skin to 'stretch' over the carved body. Hope that helps some............................................jerry

9. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I've done some crazy chit with fish taxidermy, can do almost anything, but realistically, I'm trying to understand what you are really trying to achieve! pm me if you would like!

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Is this a customer request? If it is you have to draw the line on what is worth your time. This would DEFINITELY NOT BE WORTH MY TIME!

11. FishDog

FishDog New Member

Great guys, you just needed a little kick in the a! This is odd, I know, and I don't want to get into what it will be used for publicly just yet. I will PM you or feel free to PM me for help and we will discuss more details... Let me go into a little more depth here....

If you have a mold of a midsized trout, rather than making an entire replica with it, just make a cast of each side individually, no fins necessary. These casted sides will be formed around an existing blank I have (the blank is "abstract" we will say). So, the material used for this will need to be able to be formed around my blank, by heat or what have you.

If I had a mold of a trout myself, this would be no problem, but I don't. So, if someone does, a simple cast of each side with a material that can be formed and shaped over my blank is all I need. Basically, I don't want to carve the scales in my blank and want to put a skin from someone's mold on it. Guess I didn't think it would be this difficult. Anymore help??

12. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

The only thing I can think of, is to paint a mold with a thin layer of liquid latex and use it as a skin

13. Buy a trout blank n paint it, would save a lot of messing about. ???

14. Steve Rotramel

Steve Rotramel We got some radical rebels in this county!

I know. You are smuggling microfilm inside your blank. The British attaché is actually MI-6, returning from Moscow via Anchorage and points south to London, and it's his fish.

So you are asking us to help you save the free world.

That's why you want to do a thousand dollars worth of work on a fish rather than pay a hundred for a blank. ha ha

"Guess I didn't think it would be this difficult. Anymore help??"

It's not difficult at all. It just doesn't make sense.

15. FishDog

FishDog New Member

Guys, it doesn't make sense to you because I don't want to disclose exactly what it will be used for just yet. I'm just asking for your ideas on how this could be done. You will notice on the finished product why I have to go about doing it this way.

Thanks CrabCrazy, this makes the most sense to me as well. But in a perfect world, is there another material that can be used and formed around my parts that will allow for easier gluing and maybe painting?

16. Steve Rotramel

Any chance your "parts" are old decrepit mounts? Or perhaps lures? The "possibly paint" points to the latter.

From Crabcrazy - "The only thing I can think of, is to paint a mold with a thin layer of liquid latex and use it as a skin."

Probably wont get much easier than that. You could certainly PM one of these guys with an offer if you don't have a mold to draw a skin from. I think I would try good old elmos glueall in a well waxed mold. Pull the skin and apply to your surface before it completely dries.

Good luck.

17. contact Smooth-On products. it's called dragon skin.

18. Steve Rotramel

Dragon skin is a platinum cure silicone rubber. I used it to make breast prosthetics. Yep - I was in the booby business for a while.

The only way to paint dragon skin is to mix pigments in the rubber itself and then paint on your part. Can't be airbrushed - At least I could never do it. Viscosity is too high.

**I stand corrected. Just looked on their web-site and Smooth-On now has a line of paints "Psycho Paints" that they say can be thinned and air-brushed. It's still platinum cure silicone. Now I wish I had more boobies to paint ha ha!**

You are right T and Sons, it would make a great skin and if you are good at mixing colors and hand brush painting it would work great. It's very hard to tear up and takes every detail of your mold. Probably more expensive than other solutions though.

19. FishDog

FishDog New Member

Ding, ding, ding!! It's for a specific type of lure that I will be remolding. Just need someone with a larger trout mold to make the skin. I like the thick glue type idea. Sounds cheaper haha.

20. Steve Rotramel

You just want one, a few dozen, or thousands?

Take a look at this - http://www.fishcarver.com/urethane_carving_tools.htm

It would certainly be possible to produce a tool like this to use on your lures. In addition, depending on how many you need, a couple of similar rollers could be mounted and automated as an embosser so that you simply feed the blank in and it pops out the other side perfectly scaled.