1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Convention piece (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Finsandfur, Feb 25, 2014.

1. I had put together a deer shoulder mount for the upcoming ATA convention, not so much as a competition but more so to see what areas need fixed. Do to an unexpected surgery I will not be able to make it this upcoming weekend. Life has a way of throwing you off course LOL. This is somewhere around my 12th shoulder mount, and I think a big time improvement from my previous ones. I just wanted to show it, and if anyone wants to give some feedback or pointers I'd much appreciate any advice or critique. Thank you for looking. Jason

Attached Files:

2. Re: Convention piece

another

Attached Files:

• deer.JPG
      deer.JPG
      File size:
      121 KB
      Views:

3. Re: Convention piece

3rd

Attached Files:

4. Re: Convention piece

ear

Attached Files:

• ear.JPG
      ear.JPG
      File size:
      99.7 KB
      Views:
  5. Re: Convention piece

nose

Attached Files:

• nose.JPG
      nose.JPG
      File size:
      121.8 KB
      Views:
  6. Re: Convention piece

nose 2

Attached Files:

7. Re: Convention piece

right eye

Attached Files:

8. Re: Convention piece

left eye

Attached Files:

9. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Ear butts are too long, eye skin is too thick at back of eye. Keep in mind, that if you stand nose to nose with a whitetail--you can not see the caruncle.

10. Thank you for the reply. I think I see what you are saying on the eye. I just looked at some reference pics and I see that the back eye skin needs to not be so stretched back. Also, the caruncle needs to be in deeper I'm thinking. I figured the ear butts were too long, when looking at it they have bothered me. I really appreciate you taking the time to give some feedback. I did not see those eye problems until you pointed them out. Jason

11. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

Enter it and be sure to listen and take notes of the critique you receive from the judge. There is no better way to improve your work. Best of luck.

12. Thanks. I may enter it next year. I can't make the convention this year due to health reasons.

13. squid

squid hunt hard or go home

finsandfur, maybe see if you can find someone to drop it off for you at the convention, ya you may not be there to get the opionion of the judge, but the give you a paper that tells you were your strong at and were you need to correct issues at, so even tho you cant make it you could still get it evaluated if you know of anyone in your area that could take it for you, just a thought