1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

4th Deer

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by M and M, Feb 25, 2014.

1. M and M

M and M New Member

This is my 4th deer. I am only looking into taxidermy as a hobby in hopes that one day I can make a little extra money. I am a full time elementary school teacher. I have learned everything I know about taxidermy through this website and the couple of videos that I have bought. I know there are a lot of things that need improvement including the eyes, mouth, and ear position. One good thing is I can see improvements on each one I have finished; however, there is still lots of improvements. Let me know what you guys think.

2. M and M

M and M New Member

Ok so the pics didn't load I will have to work on that.

3. Nick7

Nick7 New Member

Just go the the tutorial section and follow " How to Add a Photo to a Post"

4. Andysmith

Andysmith Member

use photo bucket

5. Posting pics for M and M
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. M and M

M and M New Member

Thank you Dakota Hills for helping me with the pictures.

7. Get you some good reference pictures and compare different areas like eyes ears nose and compare to your mount and you will see alot of your issues and the next one will be better as long as you keep improving you will get to where you want to be

8. reference reference reference!! Antlers way too high, ears too far back eye shape, arm b it hair to high on shoulder.
    Just keep at it, but get some good reference.
    Jim

Attached Files:

9. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,189736.0.html

10. Taxidermy is not for everybody.

11. Get you some good reference pic's like hunter4ever and turkeyjim suggested and keep at it and don't let one post like this discourage you.

12. Andysmith

Andysmith Member

wow great input

13. gdiii20

gdiii20 Member

Purchase a head reference head from mckenzie! Gives u a better idea on shapeing your eyes! Also Rick Carter A-Z DVD great investment trust me! Practicing yourself without help is tough and expensive I was in your shoes!

14. Just scrolled through Sims' posts.... just to see all the pics of his work he's posted. Like "NONE" !!!! I think maybe in the comment he made,, he was referring to himself! Stay with it M and M ! They will start to improve as you go!

15. Posts like this are absolutely unnecessary. Taxidermy is for ANYONE willing to put in the time and effort. Not everyone starts off with professional-looking flawless mounts, and for some it takes years to perfect.

Join your state association, purchase a few DVDs, surf Google for "Whitetail Deer Photos" and take your time on the next one. You can only get better from here. You're doing a lot better than me...I've only mounted squirrels so far. Keep it up!

16. verne

verne Well-Known Member

M and m i would find a taxidermist close by that is willing to teach you or might offer a class ; also there are many DVD`s out there to that are very helpful . Good luck , but most of all make it fun . :D

17. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

The reference head is key in my opinion. Copying what you see in 3D is MUCH easier than looking at a picture. With experience you will learn to interpret reference pictures, but that takes most a long time. Rick Carter's has eyes, ears, ear butts, and nose. Everything you need to mount the head of a wtd. Use this for your clay work, then your pics after mounted, and you will see a DRAMATIC difference. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Andysmith

Andysmith Member

would Ricks reference head be a much better than the cast mckenzie offers?

19. M and M

M and M New Member

I looked through your other post as well. I noticed that there weren't any pictures of your work on here anywhere. I also noticed you made this same comment on many post similar to mine. Maybe taxidermy wasn't for you and your just bitter. I know my deer wasn't perfect and has lots of issues, but that is why I put it on here.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

20. Don't worry about this 1 post M and M because you're always going to see at least 1 lowly character floating around in here that just can't help themselves.