1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Buffalo horn removal

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by derhntr, Feb 26, 2014.

1. derhntr

derhntr Member

I recently got in my first American Buffalo, I had no issues caping the animal as I have done several horned animals already. I wanted to place the horns in a bucket of water to soak so I could core them but they are very flaky. I tried it for a half day and the outer part of the horn wants to flake off. I pulled them out and they are drying now and I will be able to save them but am stumped on which direction to go. As I look for the proper form I noticed that you don't use the skull plate on a buffalo just the horns, is that correct?

I thought about drilling out the core, but I'm afraid anything I do will destroy the horns, please any thoughts on the matter. I've read all though the archives and not feeling I have a grip on this.

2. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Don't let them soak or you'll destroy them as you found out. Let them rot off or boil them off one at a time for 30 minutes. Be careful with them. Start by slicing a think blade up between the horn and the bone all the way around. You can drill a small hole through them into the core to assist, but you shouldn't need to.

3. derhntr

derhntr Member

Thanks boarhunter, I just finished removing them from the core, I started by cutting though with a very sharp knife, then used my dermal with a small bit until the horn came free.