1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

first otter

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Leroy22, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

this was my 3rd animal,first 2 were racoons done old school. this otter was my first manakin mount. he stands 33" 22lbs. i did him 2 weeks ago and was waiting to do the fish before posting so i can't fix any issues but any comments would be helpfull on the next one which im pretty sure will be a opossum.

thanks" Leroy

Attached Files:

2. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

the fish doesn't have the film that the pic shows its all shinny

Attached Files:

3. Godzilla!

4. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Run Forrest run! ;D
    Valiant effort but find good reference. Mouth work for one is way way off. That being said dont give up just can't say it enough reference reference!!!

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Leroy, here's a reference picture of the mouth and eyes of a live otter. You'll see that you got carried away a bit with both features The mouth opens downward and isn't spread all across the head of the animal. Your eyes aren't set correctly as they give it a wild crosseyed effect.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=otter+pictures&id=94A5F9C96AF01370F6CA09DD238308719D257EAE&FORM=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=C05958713BE082CB6302EBD428A698F0DB0C7F06&selectedIndex=582

6. Reminds me of Victorian work.

7. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

George i understand what your saying abought the mouth but this was the largest form on the market and this guys mouth was abought an inch wider than the form and was angeled the way it is and i really don't think it could have been altered downward, atleast at the stage im at with taxidermy. could that have been done? the eyes are solid black marbles and really don't look cross eyed, probebly the flash makeing it that way. after i uploaded these pics i saw just what yall are seeing and had a good lauph,he looks like he is smilling. when he is sitting on the floor he actually looks pretty cool, can't see straight on his mouth and he looks mad as heck which is what i was wanting. not sure an otter can hold a fish in his hand like he is but i wanted him to,its mine not a customers so it fine but i know i have to be rite if im getting paid.i did look at alot of otter pics and some had a really red mouth but most didn't. im not to good with the painting yet.
    I was sad when i found this guy, i found him on the side of the road in a large hunting area rite at the end on the season and he had been shot 2 times in the belly. he hadn't been dead long and even though i was sad he was dead i felt blessed to have found him, some asshole didn't get a deer so he shot this guy,i hate that.

anyway i do appreciate the comments, its what i figured i would hear, i'll do better next time,i getting ready to do a opossum.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Sometimes you have to let the reference pictures overrule the skin. Otters are fine of those. An otter can "turn inside its skin". Though the mouth may have been big, the skin still lies up against the gums. Next time, fill the split lips with clay and fold the in against the teeth. Also, you need to create eyebrows. Look at a pet . Hold its head and move food back and forth across its muzzle. Watch those muscles above the eye move as the eye rotates.

9. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Right or wrong, you gotta love that.

10. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

I don't think it is the flash, take George's advice. Use reference and you will see that it is off not only the eyes and mouth, but looks like the paws too.

11. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

If he looked like that in real life then no wonder they shot him.

12. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

Not bad for your 3rd mount and your very first otter. Keep mounting and with the the right attitude and plenty of reference, you will get better.