1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Changing careers looking for advice/training near Fort Worth.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by HPridgen, Feb 26, 2014.

1. HPridgen

HPridgen New Member

I'm fed up and bailing out of corp America to pursue a new direction in life after a 29 year run in telecom. * I'm not some kid looking for a hobby. * Looking for someone in the Fort Worth or west toward Weatherford area, willing to spend time teaching or mentoring me in the art of mounting waterfowl and/or upland game birds. (Will also consider any other offers in any other areas as well.) I'm not asking for a handout, and am willing to pay a fair price for good instruction or volunteering my time to assist you in your business in return. Instructional videos are a start, but I need hands on practical instruction with input and feedback.

If any of you are willing and/or know of anyone that may be interested in my offer please provide contact info.

Thanks for your time…..Eugene

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Eugene, I like your spirit and forthright attitude, but please understand that the thing that seems to be bothering you most is only going to change colors when you come over to this business. Right off, the government is going to demand that you possess a "permit" that will cost you $100. The avenue you chose is going to guarantee that someone is going to be constantly looking over your shoulders, going through the records they require you to keep, and generally being a pain in the ass. As in Alaska, the scenery never changes unless you're the lead dog. I wish you well.

3. Eugene, join the Texas Taxidermy Association. There will be a 1 1/2 day seminar in Marlin, Texas free to the public with different hands on mounting. Plenty of top Texas taxidermist will be there to advise you The seminar is March 7 (1:00- thru March 8). Marlin is just a little ways from Waco which is not that far from you. The seminar is at the old downtown hotel(don't know the name ) but is posted on the Texas Taxidermy web site.Good luck.

4. HPridgen

HPridgen New Member

George,

Thank you for you feedback. I will keep that in mind as I move forward. Seems the Gov't has it's hands in everything looking to make a buck. I'm fairly meticulous and my wife will be helping me keep records organized in an effort to keep me on the straight and narrow.

KBcountry,

Thanks for the feedback. All advice appreciated. I am a member of the TTAI and I believe that seminar in Marlin if for instruction on mounting deer, but I'll check on it a little closer.

-------
    I came here optimistically looking for help as it seems when I approach any Taxidermist at the local Hunting or Outdoor venues, they all seem to be put off like I'm going to take something away from them and not really willing to help. Wish it wasn't that way and "when" I get this figured out, my door will be open to anyone looking for help or advice. Trying to make a difference…….

Any other advice is always welcome.

Thanks again!!

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

For eons, this was a "closed shop" mentality with even fathers keeping information from their sons. That still permeates the industry. About any place you find a taxidermist, he's (OR SHE) is going to think that every deer killed in Texas should be at his shop. He may lie about it, but he's a bit pissed to hear that he missed one. The sad fact is he probably already has more work than he can do anyway if he's worth a damn. SOME OF US don't feel that way and you'll just have to look around until you find one. Come to Delaware and I'll tell you everything I know. But then you'll still have to find someone who's a good taxidermist to tell you how to do it right.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

I bet after you get established, that you will change your tune, when everyone that hates their day job comes to you asking for tips on how to get started in taxidermy, and then they go after the same people that you want for customers. Can you see why your local taxidermist are gun shy? Their part of the pie gets smaller each time some new excited gasoline ass comes around wanting a bone. Your not the first upstart that asked them for pointers, that is why they gave you the stink eye.

7. wctaxidermy1

wctaxidermy1 Member

X2 probably comes off like were gasholes but most people that want it bad enough do there own digging for info and as you already know nothing in life is free.

8. Contact KMA on this forum. He offers waterfowl classes in his shop and is in North Richland Hills, and does some mighty fine work. You are more than welcome to come by my shop and help out, although my work is not near the level of the usual guys and gals that post here. I'm in Keller and am currently working on a bunch of waterfowl while I watch deer dry :)

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. HPridgen

HPridgen New Member

Thank you all for the feedback. Good, bad, or otherwise all is welcome.

I will continue to turn over every stone, and keep moving forward in my journey…… Just left a well paying job, bought a farm and a few acres to live the dream. And God willing, Taxidermy will be a part of it. I'm not looking for a handout, and still believe there are some good people out there willing to point me in the right direction.

George, ya never know…..you may just get a visit from me one day! Cheers my new friend!

Marshmonster Thank you!! I currently live in Keller. Send me your info and I'd like to visit. I'll will also be contacting KMA for information.

Now, if I could just finish rehabbing this old farmhouse in to a shop!! ;) Sheetrock is going up this weekend…...

10. I think the Marlin seminar is open for people to bring anything they want help with. Also Brandon Zahn was mounting a snow goose at last report unless something has changed.

11. HPridgen

HPridgen New Member

Thanks for the update.