1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

removing longhorn sheaths

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by rich stewart, Feb 26, 2014.

1. rich stewart

rich stewart New Member

Need help with my longhorn project. I recently had a customer bring in a longhorn bull 8 years old that measures 88 1/2 inches tip to tip. I use beetles for my skulls and I would like to use them on this skull, the horns have a twist and measuring them out, their just short of 57" each. Its cold here still in Ohio and I'm not sure what to do. Can you pros give a novice some good advice.

2. Bones N Beasts

Bones N Beasts New Member

you will need to sweat them off or cook them off theres lots of info in the archive about doing this I cant remember the pages but you the search and im sure you will find a few options and one will work for you

3. I'd boil those bad boys off myself.

4. rich stewart

rich stewart New Member

I've looked at the archives but this thing won't even fit in a 55 gal drum side ways. sweating them off could be an option I guess but it's gonna be cold here for awhile yet freezing I should say.

5. bugsandbones1

bugsandbones1 New Member

Id love to see pics of that beast !

6. Bones N Beasts

to cook them off you will need to do one horn at a time hang head sideways and get as much if not all of that horn submersed then when loose cut around and up and inside the horn then use a rubber mallet and smack the crap out of it pull twist and don't give up I remember someone saying they strapped the skull to something and used a winch to pull them off

7. It was probably me that said ,"strap and winch" I did a life size that had 100" horns. I would say search the archives but the search engine sucks. I have looked for my post using the search and can't find it.

I boiled it using a metal water trough

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

8. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

here ya go buddy:
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,264750.msg1835455.html#msg1835455

just find something big enough to cook em in, just be creative, old pvc pipe if you can get a cap on it, stock tanks, garden boxes anything that will hold water.

9. rich stewart

rich stewart New Member

How do you post pics on here I would like for you guys to see this thing.

10. Tutorial: How to Add a Photo to a Post: http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,2776.0.html
    and
    Tutorial: How to Reduce a Photo for the Web: http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,3991.0.html
    are both found in the Forum Operations category.

11. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Here's one I did over the last few weeks and the horns fit perfect in a mid sized cooler, just get it in something, even if its huge, make a plywood box line it with plastic and get the horn and a few bucket heaters in it.
    [​IMG]

12. rich stewart

rich stewart New Member

this is what I have.

Attached Files:

13. eurosbyRT

eurosbyRT Skull Designs

that is awesome, I would sweat them off, if you have a chest freezer that is big enough or build a sweat tank, wrap the horns with saran wrap and heat them up, in about a week they should come off, Ive done a ton of longhorns but that one takes the cake

14. rich stewart

rich stewart New Member

Sweat tank please explain and do you wrap the hole head or do I understand just the horns. also its still cold here what temp should it be etc. new to this longhorn stuff. thanks guys

15. eurosbyRT

eurosbyRT Skull Designs

Build a box that will hold the heat in, I just wrap the horns and bag the skull, use a heater or heat lamp, I would get it up around 85

16. Bones N Beasts

WOW

17. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Crap ... Jeeze that is huge. Consider heating water in a 55 gallon barrel and doing one side at a time. You could also take sheets of that pink insulation foam and put them together to build a box big enough to contain that head. Make the whole box out of that foam and get a ceramic heater in there and run it so the interior stays around 85 to 90. I would also put a pan of water in there to keep it humid. Keep it that warm in there for at least a week and then try to twist/pull them off.

That is a really impressive head.

18. rich stewart

rich stewart New Member

thanks guys for the help, now lets see what I get into

19. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Just be creative and careful. This is a old buff that I sweated the horns off, one side came off after 5 days the other is so stuck I had to resort to different means, a hour of simmering and then wedge every screwdriver I have under the SOB, it did finally come off but this is the worst one I have ever dealt with:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]