As most of you who know me, know I just hate waiting for layers of anything to dry before moving on to the next step. According to the rules of competition you can't use a commercial cast head unless you make major alterations to it. I don't know what qualifies as major so I set out to cast my own. I started with the tube silicone and acrylic paint method. Took to long and I didn't like the results not to mention the smell. I was at Hobby Lobby looking for other mold making ideas and found this product on the shelf next to Alginate. Cost for the kit and release agent $25 I liked the idea of just mixing the two products together and pouring over the head instead of brushing on coats of silicone. The first step was to position the head and inject the eyes with water and freeze solid. Once the head was froze I found a bottle that was just large enough to fit the head inside with about a 1/2inch of space between it and the bottle. I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the bottle so I could run a drywall screw through it and into the frozen head making sure it was centered inside the bottle. Next I mixed up the entire container of the mold building compound. There is just enough material to cast one head, this happens to be a Canvasback. Once it is mixed thouroughly I pour the mixture, very slowly into the container around the head, very slowly. Reduces air bubbles!! That's it now you just set the whole thing aside in a warm place to cure. This particular mold took about 5 hours to cure enough to demold the head. I cut the plastic bottle on both sides with a exacto knife and removed the screw and mold. Next I cut the mold with the exacto knife starting at the underside of the head and continue all the way out to the end of the bill. Carefull not to cut into the head. You can see that the head is separating nicely from the mold and the only place you will need to cut the mold is the nostrils. Pull the mold away from the nose holes and snip the mold leaving just enough detail inside the nostrils. I couldn't take pictures and do this at the same time, Sorry! The head should now pull out pretty easily and all you have left to do is snip any extra mold material away from the mold that will just cause hang ups when removing the cast head. Once that is done clean up the mold with soap and water, dry with compressed air and you are ready to spray release agent and pour your cast. I used the old standby 50/50 mixture of bondo and fiberglass resin. Not my favorite casting compound but does work pretty well. Heavy for one thing but I couldn't find an alternative at the store. After the mixture has cured I removed the head from the mold. Also I should mention I stuck a neck wire into the bondo. As you can see there are some defects in the cast which are easy fixes. I clean the head with lacquer thinner and paint a heavy coat of Acrylic Gesso over the entire bill. You can see any defects at this point and are filled with regular old wall spackle. Allowed to dry and painted one more time with the gesso. Once you are satisfied with the repairs paint as you would normally do, and that part is done. As a final disclaimer to anyone using the silicone tube and paint method, while this may work for you I sucked at it, LOL!! It took me longer to put this tutorial together than it did to make the actual mold and cast.