1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need a bit of fox help

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by buckmasters243, Mar 1, 2014.

1. buckmasters243

buckmasters243 Active Member

Okay I mounted this red fox today and I am having problems with the ears and eyes.I cant put my finger on it.When I change the eyes a bit the ears look wrong and when I change the ears the eyes look wrong I cant get the ears right any help on this.This is how it is now.Thank you
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. NJTrapper

NJTrapper Member

Ears are way too far back, pupils are at the wrong angle, eye shape is wrong. The way you have the eyes now, he is cross eyed. Once you pull the ears forward, that will give you more skin to work the eyes with. Get some good reference and work on one thing at a time. Work on only the eyes, until they look like your reference. Then move on to the ears, and so on. Don't try to do everything at once. Keep trying, you'll get there.

3. buckmasters243

Are you talking the eye pupil or the eye?

4. NJTrapper

NJTrapper Member

The pupil "cant" or the angle of the pupil should be I believe, about 10 deg., each one canted in towards the bridge of the forehead so to speak. The pupils should be centered within the eye skin. If you do a search on here, this has been explained many times. Go to Pbase.com and type in the search "red fox" you will find tons of reference. Compare your ear placement and eye shape to the pictures you see and try and duplicate it. Study the face of the pictures of the fox you see and compare it to what you have, and adjust from there.

5. buckmasters243

Okay thanks I now know what you mean I have a chart for a bobcat with that type of stuff on it but not fox.

6. NJTrapper

NJTrapper Member

Actually, go to the above bar on this section, there is a Mammal reference section. click on that and click on any of the red fox listings. Some great reference. Use some of these pictures to compare your mount to. Good luck.

7. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Whooo, I thought someone was in my shop and took pictures, same mount on same wood stand. I almost took a bat to mine but turned on some mellow music and got it to look kinda like a fox. The screamin heavy speed metal can reek havoc sometimes.

8. Lone Wolf AK

Lone Wolf AK Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry

Here's a really good post by Bill Motzer that may help "after the fact".

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,243306.0.html

9. Lone Wolf AK

My apologies to the person who originally posted these reference pix (I can't remember who it was), but these may help a bit as well.

Attached Files:

10. Lone Wolf AK

more

Attached Files:

11. buckmasters243

Thank you lone wolf that helps alot and will definately use this on my next predator.