1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What should I do here?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Meagan, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Meagan

Meagan New Member

I was getting help from a local taxidermist, learning how to do mounts for myself and friends. He decided at the last moment that he no longer was able to help me and gave me my mounts back unfinished. I have Rick Carters DVD and I am learning from that as well. Attached below is a picture of my mule deer that I harvested this year, as you can see the problem is with his tear ducts and eye area. I am about to start the finish work on him and need to know what I should do here. The taxidermist thought it was a good idea to stuff the tear ducts with paper towels and open them up. I'm not too happy with the look, but I was doing what he was teaching me to do. How the heck should I go about "closing" them a bit? Just use my apoxie sculpt? If so where should I apply it? This mount I watched him do the eyework on, my white-tailed doe I did everything on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rehydrate the eye and tuck the eyegland in and pin it closed.

3. As per PLT and get some reference. Clean the eyes up and watch this video by Shawn Dawson. It will help you set a better eye. Take your time. Good luck.
    http://taxidermyworkshops.com/?page_id=206

4. Meagan

Meagan New Member

Thanks for the help. I was figuring that I would need to rehydrate and tuck the tear duct closed. What would be the best way on rehydrating those two areas? Just soak those areas with water and cover to let it soften back up? I have no idea on why he stuffed the tear ducts with paper towels to open them up, but oh well. I'm not happy with the look. Thanks for any help.

5. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

Thanks for the plug, Frank ;)

6. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Said "taxidermist" not being able to help you any longer is the best thing he did for you.

7. Meagan

Meagan New Member

Justin P, that's what I have been thinking. I'll post some pictures of my doe that I did, it was my first archery kill. I like the way that she turned out, just need to do the finish work on her first. I guess I should post pictures of the entire mule deer and have everyone look at him and let me know what you think. He was wet tanned using Krowtan, so I guess he would be easy enough to rehydrate and redo...just need some thoughts on the matter first. Rick Carters DVD has shown me the things that the shop I was helping at did wrong....

8. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

It won't be hard for you to build your business and take from 'Said Taxidermist's'

9. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Pin a wet paper towel over it and bag it. It will rehydrate.

10. gdiii20

gdiii20 Member

Spray some water around the area, place a piece a rag over it (wet), and wrap it wit serene wrap! Give it about 2-3 hrs should b nice and rehydrated ready for you to reform it however you want it!!

11. Whitetailfreak84

Whitetailfreak84 New Member

X2
    Said taxidermist should follow you Meagan to someone well rounded in the field.

12. Meagan

Meagan New Member

Thanks everyone. While I was lucky enough to have someone at least show me some new things, I really wish that my mounts had been better. I finished up my doe a few days ago, I will post some pictures of it so that you all can tell me what to change. He left me high and dry with my un-finished mounts, but thankfully I have Rick Carters DVD and followed that. I have a bit of trouble using the epoxie and the paint gun, but I guess with practice I'll get there. My paints look a bit rough and uneven, and it was more difficult than I had imagined using the epoxie. I am saving my mule deer for last, my friend gave me her buck from this year to work on so I think it'll turn out a little bit better. I'll for sure post some pictures of that and let you all critique me.

If I had money I would find some proper training, but just being a recent college graduate with her masters degree has put me in a bind. Until then I will take my mounts to our state competation and get some good critiques there as well as from this site.