1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Non Iodized Salt???

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Steves Taxidermy, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Steves Taxidermy

Steves Taxidermy "Speak The Language"

Where can I buy this? Its been a while since I bought any, and my local feed store no longer carries it...
    Thanks!

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Has it been 30 days already? Sorry Steve, but this is the most asked question on this forum and we see it just about once every month. The amount of iodine in salt is about 60 cc's to a ton of salt. If you leave the container open, the iodine content will evaporate within a month. It will not effect anything you intend on doing with it. Buy salt, preferably 100% sodium chloride.

3. Steves Taxidermy

Sorry George I didn't know it was so popular... Where can I find 100% sodium chloride?

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Just table salt. I use commercial bakers salt I buy from SYSCO. You can use cattle salt but get the purist you can find.

5. I bet the feed store has it, they always have salt. Just ask for the white mixing salt.

6. I buy it at Farm & Fleet, it's mixing salt. I think the 2 bags I bought last week were $4.29 each for 40 lb bags. Just call around, you certainly don't want to have it shipped.

7. Steves Taxidermy

I thought so... I tried three feed stores that don't carry it, or so they say...

8. Steves Taxidermy

Driftless, that sounds like what I bought and exactly what I paid for it...

9. lykens25

lykens25 New Member

I just picked a few bags up at tractor supply. They call it stock salt. All of my local feed mills also carry it they call it mixing salt.

10. gasman1

gasman1 The Big One Almost Got Away

N.C
    Steve, most Sams have Morton non Iodized salt for about 3 bucks for 25 pounds/

11. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Check if you have a restaurant supply depot, may need a tax ID, mine does, $6.00 50lb Morton table salt