1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bobcat skeletons project

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by WolfGirl, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Need some advice on this. I'm doing two bobcats fighting, the one tackling will be held up by clear rods, but I'm having trouble coming up for an idea on how to attach the laying down one to the base. They are going on a wooden shelf.
    What I have so far, the laying down cat, ribs are about finished
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The skulls
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was thinking maybe drilling out spaces in the wood for the vertebrae to lay in and epoxy it, kind of like how I have it in the foam now, but I'm not sure I'd like the look. Any suggestions?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Make sure you have a sturdy wire run through the spinal cord channel to support everything or else the weight of it in that position will be snapping the joints apart. You might want to use some moss or some sort of substrate to hide any fastenings or supports on the back of the spine through the wood. You might also want to consider some custom supports in lexan or other clear material for the spine of the bottom one. If you are good with molding, make custom shapes to hold the spine in clay. Make latex molds of those pieces and cast them in clear acrylic resin. Then you can mount them directly to the board or on a clear rod.

3. Bones N Beasts

Bones N Beasts New Member

I don't have any suggestions but what a great idea and I'm excited to see the progress

4. flintlough

flintlough Member

Texas
    Very nice. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

I am fairly new to this, but I think as long as you have a good sturdy spinal rod of some sort in place, you can secure it in many ways. Just having the cats attached to each other will lend good support.

Skeleton Crew - haha!

5. Ha, I didn't even realize the irony. They are there keeping the foam from falling over.
    Sea- thanks for the suggestions, I've never tried molding so that would be a bit to advanced for me. I think I'm going try a clear rod but I'm not sure how to connect it to the spine exactly. Think maybe a hot glue stick melted on the end to the shape of the spine then epoxying it to the spine would work? Also not sure how I'm going to attach the skull to the spine, since the smaller one may be holding some weight from the other. Was thinking about maybe filling the skull with caulking? I used foam for my deer project a while back but idk if I want to go that way with this one or not.
    Hopefully I'll get the spine from the other cat done this weekend.

6. Been a while since I could finally get back to this project. I have made a lot of progress so far. Here's an update :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Messy work area
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Bobcat skeletons project (Finally finished!!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally finished this project. I think it turned out awesome. Anything I could improve on for my next one?

8. Kisszilva

Kisszilva Member

Very-very good work! Love it.... you did the attack moment very well! Congratulation! ;)

9. Sea Wolf

Very, very well done. Are you going to sell it now?

10. AH7

AH7 New Member

Way cool. Never seen a mount like that before!

11. Raphite01

Raphite01 New Member

Holy smokes, congrats on an awesome mount!

12. Sea Wolf

Any way you can put up some larger file size, detailed pictures on Photobucket??

13. I don't think I'll sell it, it's going on the wall for now. My next skeleton is going to be a bearded dragon (old guy, his kidney ruptured). Not sure how I'm going to do him yet.

14. It is uploaded from photobucket, not sure why they r so small. I'll try to fix it later when I'm at the computer.

15. Well Done!! Very Cool

16. Agree with all... awesome mount, awesome job!

17. tem

tem Well-Known Member

wow. that is so cool. great work.

18. akvz

akvz New Member

Super cool project, just in time as well... was wondering what some differently posed bobcat skeletons might look like, I have one in the works right now myself.

Curious: why are they labeled black cat and white cat? Just a different way of saying cat 1 and cat 2 or cat A and cat B?

19. Just a way of telling them apart. I had black and white zip ties for labeling when I was cleaning them. Without color coding it would have been a huge mess lol.

20. akvz

akvz New Member

I figured as much, wasn't sure if you were originally going to paint one black and keep one white as a yin and yang thing or something... I can't imagine how much of a pain it would be if they weren't colour coded! I barely put mine in the maceration bin and almost lost track of left and right, and that's just on one cat.