1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

6500 or 6900

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by K1976g, Mar 6, 2014.

1. K1976g

K1976g New Member

I just dropped off my deer to my taxidermist. He gave me mckinzies website to pick a pose from. I like the 6500 or 6900 and was wondering which pose might be best from a taxidermist perspective on this perticular deer. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

They both have their own positives/negatives. The 6500 is probably the top selling form of all time. Flip a coin, and go with it.

3. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

For me 6500 is a much better form, the upper neck and nose on the 6900 are terrible

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

The 6900 looks better on larger framed Nov. deer. Smaller, younger pre rut deer they look weird looking at them from the turn side. 6500 looks good on any deer, its not an offset though, has a thinner face, but overall look good.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

If you cut the entire shoulder and brisket off the 6900 and use it to replace that are on the 6500, you'd have a perfect form. That 6900 anatomically atrocious.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    6900 in the right hands looks great, but that's the key, the right person can make either one a fantastic looking mount.

7. George

LOL 3bears. They tell me the same thing about the Joe Meder forms, but if I have to alter the form so that it looks right, I could just as well go back to the red rosin paper forms. I figure that at $60 a pop (+shipping), I should get one that I don't have to spend a lot of time on.

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I'll tend to agree with your last post George.

9. I would use a form from the Ben Mears line. They actually look like a deer. Some of those 6900"s look like a damn dog when mounted up.

10. Michael_Cabrelle

Michael_Cabrelle New Member

I just got my buck back from the Taxidermist... Ontario deer... Looks great on the 6500...

11. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Just three little letters . . . . O T S.
    Problem solved

12. T2LTaxidermy

T2LTaxidermy Member

I have to agree. OTS forms REALLY look good mounted up. I'm using nothing but those now and the customers are loving them.

13. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

OTS........... Ohio Taxidermy Supply. Very Accurate right out of the box...

Attached Files:

14. George

Steven, that's not fair. I suspect that use a paper form "right out of the box" and it would be "anatomically correct".

15. K1976g

K1976g New Member

That ots mount looks awesome! My taxidermist didnt mention ots. Do you think it's out of line to suggest the ots? As far as the mckinzie forms sounds like the 6500 is the way to go! I appreciate all the info!

16. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You could ask him if he has ever used OTS. If not ask him if he is willing to give them a try. For me, and I'm sure a bunch of other taxidermists, I ask what pose and turn the customer wants and then it is usually up to me to choose who I buy my forms from. I am not against trying most forms on the market at a customer's request but I do not give most the option. Half the time it is hard to get people to decide the basic choices such as pose and turn. Now add in all the different forms available and I would never get anything done. I do have some customers that come in knowing exactly what they want, not an issue with me.

17. George

K1976g, that EXACTLY why Steven shouldn't have posted. IT'S NOT THE FORM. Perhaps your taxidermist has that talent, but if he does, IT'S NOT THE FORM!!!!! It's the talent.

18. K1976g

K1976g New Member

That's totally understandable George Roof! The more I think about it I'm just going to tell Roger(my taxidermist) the semi sneak pose is the one I like! I saw a mounted white tail on here that looked like a moose on crack! :) so I agree definantly the talent not the form!!

19. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

My post was valid.. George you are the one who suggested you'd rather use a form that didn't take much work to produce higher quality. OTS fits that bill.

In my opinion, the form does matter, even a terrible taxidermist benefits by using a more accurate form as opposed to one that is not. At least he's that much closer, just sayin'....