1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anybody have any experience with a dry ice and a dry ice making machine?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Cecil, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I need a safety net for shipping my frozen fish, although the boxes are well insulated. As we all know shipping is getting more and more expensive and not always reliable. Insulation will only take you so far.

There is no dry ice supplier near me, and I see the item below may be the ticket for filling in a void around the fish with "dry ice snow" or " dry ice flakes." Wouldn't be much room for the dry ice but I don't think there would have to be much at -190 F. I don't have any problems getting access to liquid C02 to attach to the below machine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bel-Art-Scienceware-388860002-European-Model-Frigimat-Junior-Dry-Ice-Maker-New-/121162755280?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c35dcecd0

Could the dry ice cause any issues with the frozen fish or vacuum seal they are in? I realize dry ice is heavier than H20 ice but as I said I don't think I'd need a lot.

Thoughts?

2. Illegal for air shipping.

3. grumpa

grumpa Active Member

Cecil, Look on amazon. They have lots of different options. I worked at a chemical plant many years ago, and we had one that screwed onto the top of a CO2
    tank. It made discs that were 6" across and 2" thick. Blocks or pieces last much longer than flakes. I'd check with shippers to see if there are any restrictions for shipping. Good luck.

4. Meijers carries at some stores. Right in th front of the stores.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Question, does not dry ice need to be ventilated when enclosed? Making it useless for shipping with commercial shipping companies.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

John I get fish out if Anchorage with next day FedEX that has dry ice packaging.

Cecil, you will need to insulate your fish from direct contact with the dry ice. That stuff can damage skin if you don't. A thin piece of cardboard works great.

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Thanks all. George yes that's what I'm hearing.

As far as dry ice suppliers in my are they are all at least 40 miles away. Heck even the main shipping terminals for UPS and Fed Ex are far away.

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Absolutely not true according to both the USPS and UPS websites. They both have restrictions on maximum lbs. though.

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I did not know you could ship it. That is good to know. George is it declared on the exterior of the package, or does it fall under don't ask, don't tell category?

10. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

You'll need a CO2 cylinder with a dip tube. It draws liquid CO2 from the bottom of the cylinder as opposed to the gaseous phase on top.. That setup is simply a nozzle that causes the liquid to expand fast thus cooling quickly. The collection bag is simply a porous material that allows gas to escape. The solid is caught in the bag...

You'll also need to ship in styrofoam coolers as the temperature will be cold enough that water vapor will condense on the outside of cardboard containers..and yes, you do not want the packages air tight..

11. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

As a side note of warning, do not transport bulk dry ice in your enclosed vehicles...It'll put you to sleep and you will not notice you are getting groggy...

12. gab

gab Active Member

there is a limit to how much when shipping air(5 lbs)plus you have to put a special label on box and note it on bOL.no limt for ground.

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

USPS Packaging Instruction 9A
    Dry Ice (Carbon Dioxide Solid)

When dry ice is enclosed in a thick metal or other restricting type of container, a build–up of internal pressure could cause the container to rupture or explode. Dry ice is permitted to be sent in domestic mail when it is used as a refrigerant to cool the contents of a mailable hazardous or nonhazardous material, provided that all applicable requirements in 349 are met.
    Proper Shipping Name

Carbon Dioxide Solid or Dry Ice.

ID Number

UN1845.

Mailability

International Mail: Prohibited.
    Domestic Mail: Permitted with restriction via air transportation (Priority Mail Express, Priority Mail, and First–Class Mail) or surface transportation sent as Standard Mail or Standard Post.

Required Packaging
    General

Packages containing dry ice must be packed in containers that permit the release of carbon dioxide gas and conform to 49 CFR 173.217 and 175.10(a)(13).
    For air transportation (Priority Mail Express, Priority Mail, or First–Class Mail), each mailpiece may not contain more than 5 pounds of dry ice.
    For surface transportation (Standard Mail or Standard Post), a mailpiece may contain more than 5 pounds of dry ice.

Marking

Each mailpiece must be clearly marked on the address side with the name of the contents being cooled (such as frozen medical specimens, steaks) and the net weight of the dry ice.
    For air transportation, each mailpiece must bear a Class 9 DOT miscellaneous hazardous material warning label and must be clearly marked “Carbon Dioxide Solid, UN1845” Or “Dry Ice, UN1845.”
    For surface transportation, each mailpiece must be clearly marked “Surface Only” or “Surface Mail Only” and “Carbon Dioxide Solid, UN1845” or “Dry Ice, UN1845.”

Documentation

For air transportation, a properly completed shipper's declaration for dangerous goods must be prepared in triplicate and affixed to the outside of the mailpiece.

Note: A shipper’s declaration and a Class 9 DOT warning label are not required for dry ice sent via domestic surface mail. Mailpieces containing dry ice that are prepared for surface transportation must not, under any circumstances, be routed via air transportation.

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52apxc_034.htm

UPS

Coolants and Refrigerants (Dry Ice)
    Coolants and refrigerants are used to keep temperature-sensitive products cold or frozen while in transit. Dry ice (frozen carbon dioxide) and gel packs are the most common types of coolants / refrigerants used for transport.

Preparing Dry Ice Shipments under IATA or 49 CFR

U.S. Ground Shipments:
    Because dry ice shipments are not regulated for ground transport, simply process these shipments as you would any of your UPS Ground shipments.

Note: Dry ice shipments to and from Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Catalina Island must be processed as air shipments.

U.S. Domestic Air Shipments:
    (1) For all medical packages on dry ice (prepared under 49 CFR):

No Hazardous Material Agreement is required
    No Hazardous Material Shipping Papers are required
    Hazardous Material accessorial charges will not be applied

Process through UPS WorldShip® 2008 version 10.0 (or higher) or compatible software
    Mark the outer carton with:
    The words "Dry Ice for Medical Purposes"
    The amount of dry ice contained in the package
    No other paperwork is required.
    You can obtain Dry Ice for Medical Purposes stickers (Item #011127) online or by calling 1-800-554-9964.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/materials/coolants.html

FED EX

Dry Ice Shipments

FedEx Web Services can be used to ship packages containing dry ice, as long as the specifics for the dry ice shipment are included in the shipping transaction. While dry ice is not considered a Dangerous Goods material, you must clearly mark all packages that contain dry ice. For more information about dry ice, call 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339 and press 81 to reach the FedEx Dangerous Goods / Hazardous Materials Hotline.

Details

The following shipping rules apply to dry ice shipments:

Dry ice shipping through FedEx Web Services is allowed for FedEx Express® U.S. shipments, FedEx International Economy® U.S. shipments, FedEx International Economy® Freight U.S. shipments, FedEx Ground® U.S. shipments and Canada origin FedEx Express international shipments.
    Dry ice weight must be submitted in kilograms.
    The weight entered for dry ice must be less than the total weight of the shipment.
    FedEx Ground is used for dry ice shipping with a weight limit of 70 lbs. or more.
    Dry ice is considered a packing material and does not require any Dangerous Goods elements for shipping.

For more detailed information about the services offered by FedEx, see the electronic FedEx Service Guide.

14. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Cecil, have you tried calling your local grocery stores and/or meat markets? Oftentimes they sell dry ice.

I think you might get hit with a hazardous shipping charge too?

And as mentioned, I think it's okay to air mail as long as it's claimed and I think under 5 pounds. Which it will be. Don't forget cost of the dry ice too. It ain't that cheap. But, probably cheaper if you can make it yourself. I would think your business is a big enough volume to justify the cost...

15. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Thanks Cyclone. I once had a vehicle where the crickets died almost instantly in the car when I transported them from the bait store. I think in that case I had a leak in the floor an exhaust of Carbon monoxide vs. Carbon dioxide! :eek:

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Thanks Mary. Looks like you posted before my last post.

I was also told the local grocery store will probably receive their ice cream packed in dry ice and throw the dry ice away. I will check with them and maybe get some for free. I do like the freedom ofpotentially producing it myself as you know what happens when you have to depend on others.

Thanks everybody for your comments. I don't have a problem researching something on the Internet but it's always good to hear from folks that have first hand experience.