1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Easy Photo Transfers On Wood

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Aqhforever, Mar 7, 2014.

1. I had a project to mount a couple ranch deer floor pedestals. I thought since they would be attending breeder shows with these bucks it would be cool to have photos of the "live" deer on the back. This is how I did just that:
    Finished product below and instructions to follow.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attached Files:

2. For my project I needed the backs to match the backs of the deer mounts. I SHOULD have made a template for each deer before mounting but I did not, lesson learned there. I used 1/4" pine plywood. Any light colored wood will work. So after I made my templates, cut them out, lightly sanded with 220 grit sandpaper, I then stained with rust oleum interior stain to match the pedestals.

Now for the photo transfer:
    Edit your photo as needed. I removed the background, softened, and add any desired text. After editing REVERSE your photo!
    Then you need access to a LASER printer to print your photo. I prefer black and white but color works too.
    I then cut out my image to reduce amount of paper to be removed later.

Attached Files:

3. Paint a good coat of the liquitex heavy gel medium onto your piece of wood. Place photo ink side down. Using a credit card or something similar flatten your photo and remove excess gel. Wipe off the credit card with each swipe so you don't get gel on TOP of the photo.

Attached Files:

4. Be carefully not to wrinkle or ding your photo. Once smooth set aside to dry overnight.

Attached Files:

5. Thanks for posting this tutorial.

6. Since i JUST did this example i dont have the rest of this pics yet but i can put them up later.

Once dried get a soft damp cloth and lightly "sponge" your photo. you will begin to see the photo underneath. If a "antique" effect is desire carefully use the cloth to rub the paper off. For cleaner results use only your fingers to rub off the paper.
    once most of it is off let dry a few mins so see if theres any more white fuzzy spots. Once all your paper is off and photo is completely dry again take a foam brush and apply your gloss or matte mod podge

7. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

Thanks For sharing Agren, I'll give that a go!

8. dotlodge

dotlodge New Member

You are a true artist....see ya @ Michigan show soon

9. Very cool!

10. noid

noid Member

marking

11. Ok here are the pics of wetting the paper and rubbing it off.

Attached Files:

12. Most of the paper off here. As it dries and you see fuzzy spots , re dampen and rub rub it off. If cutting out you image and leaving a white border really work you edges so they disappear when mod podged.

Attached Files:

13. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

Wow.....this is incredible. Thanks for sharing

14. Silverose01

Silverose01 Proud member of LTBBOI

Thanks for sharing. Great post

15. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

This is a great method. Thanks again for sharing it.

Nice Virginia buck with a custom photo back!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still need to outline with rope and clear coat. Thanks again.

16. Very nice
    Thanks for sharing

17. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Marking

18. mikehurt88

mikehurt88 Member

This is really cool and seems like something small that would keep people coming back..Out of curiosity is this something you would charge extra for when mounting a deer for someone?

19. I charge extra for a pedestal mount and something like this I included in that extra charge. These mounts were $725 with the customer building their own bases.