1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Warning Taxidermy is now suspect in numerous health related problems!!!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by smittys llc, Mar 8, 2014.

1. smittys llc

smittys llc New Member

American Health Journal: A alarming amount of Taxidermist getting diagnosed with MS,ALS and numerous more auto immune problems and certain cancers are being linked to chemical exposure that is related to Taxidermy. :-[ Handling of Tanned Skins and Paints??!! :'( Certain Regions also shown a higher % of Lymes disease also in Taxidermist!

2. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Don't care, prefer to die doing what I love. many die with so many regrets I won't have any. Someone will die today in a car wreck also. Both are sad but I choose my field so accept any risk.
    I've had auto immune disorder on my hands for 15 years they tried to connect it with Taxidermy they couldn't I live with scales on my hands like fish and raw bleeding skin all over my hands.
    Taken prednisone for 20 years helps some but a lesser man would have committed suicide if they had to deal with, open blisters between my fingers and knuckles that break the skin every time you bend them. I deal with somedays and I just sit and cry because I can't move my fingers without them splitting open and bleeding. Numbular Dishydroses Eczema the call it.. God gave me this and not someone else because I can live with it.

3. smittys llc

smittys llc New Member

n 2009 I and my 2 helpers got Arsenic poisoned from soaking and mounting African tanned capes!We were sick well over 2 months! Makes you wonder what the long term affect will be on our livers?We will never accept African Tanned Hides ever again! Think about the exposure you will have with these mounts hanging in your showroom or house!This crap will dust off and you will breathe it in!!

4. gab

gab Active Member

my brother ,a taxidermist,got leukemia in his late 2o's and has fought it for 17 years.owner of shop 6 miles west diagnosed with testicular cancer in his early 40's.taxidermist 6 miles to the east diagnosed with cancer in his mid 30's.taxidermist 16 miles north diagnosed with same cancer as my brother in his early 30's.very very rare form of leukemia.

5. *

I'm going to tell you all and especially the new taxidermist...If you go to a doctor keep the word Taxidermy out of your conversations....
    Their IS a reason they call it " Practicing Medicine" . It's all a GUESS....And they will grab taxidermy and never let it go....EVER!
    I have been to U of M and seen all their dermatologists ALL 16 of them in a one day marathon and test after test back 15 years ago....
    Conclusion...I was called by one late one night after that day when they all got together and brainstormed my case and told they can nothing for me...."Go elsewhere" so I did. Henry Ford Dermatology . Saw Dr Lim ranked in the top 10 in the world for dermatology doctors. Between his crew and hundreds I mean hundreds upon hundreds of test pokes on my back and was allergic to NOTHING but they heard the word Taxidermy and held on...He told me I must quit my job I continued to see him for 3 months and even took those 3 months and never walked into my studio. They continued to say it's your work. Never got much better even worse some weeks. Then I told them I had not even walked near taxidermy, They stated " Well we don't know what it is but it is something at your taxidermy job. We can't help you anymore....told then I hadn't worked and they basically told me I lied...I go the another hospital same crap....then another big name and the top guy same sh*t. Then I go to the Cleveland Clinic Dermatology dept they make some anti rejection drug that THEY think will help. made it 10 times worse. They tell me they can't help me but will help me get social security disability since I can't use my hands for work very well..screw you I work with my hands bleeding weeping and blistering all time...They say go the the Mayo Clinic...at that point I decided to take matters into my own hands ( litterally ) I find doctors now that will write me what I WANT prednisone I want in my quantity and strength for the skin and antibiotics for healing when I need them and I self medicate with me deciding the doses under my conditions and needs NOT THEIRS! PS This was all done out of cash no insurance 10's of thousands spent for guessing....
    I haven't missed a day of work from my hands since! Doctors are guessing everyday every hour they are just PRATICING and if they here the word TAXIDERMY your put in a special place it WILL be all about what you do not what you are suffering from.... I don't like doctors and never will they are quick to jump to conclusions as anyone else.

LOL I wish I could get paid for practicing...LOL Well I tried to mount your trophy deer but it didn't work out but pay me anyway....LOL
    I know it's a far fetched idea but it works for them.....LOL

The AHJ does not take into it's conclusion the amount of taxidermists now in the field vs the number in the field 20-30 years ago and of course more people in taxidermy even as a hobby are going to tell their doctors they are, More people higher number of cases...same as the general population....It's all BS .

6. Secondhanddog

Secondhanddog Member

Ohio
    Every profession has it's risks. My job as an Infusion nurse involves handling Chemotherapy on a daily basis. Studies have shown that this leads to changes in DNA. Chromosomes #5 & #7 are damaged. What this means is not entirely know. What we do know is that "chemo" nurses have a higher incidence of MDS (Myelodysplasic Syndrome) and other blood cancers such as Leukemia. I am fortunate to work for a hospital that supplies us with all the protective gear/devices possible.

I agree with *, I'd rather accept the risks of my job rather than doing something I'm not passionate about.

7. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Dennis
    Some day we need to sit down and have a long talk . Your case was /is my case almost exact.

8. Yea bull crap I know two taxidermist in thirty with ALS . If tanned skin are causing cancer so is you deoderent and shampoo you use daily.

9. *

Sucks doesn't it....

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I've been on the Agent Orange watchlist since 1967. Taxidermy is small potatoes compared to that.

11. country

country Member

Dennis, Richard, I'm at urgent care right now with the same thing. Some days are better than others, but it's always there.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

I do know that the gas from the 2 part foam has caused me diastolic high blood pressure. Wear a chemical mask now.

13. *

Well, just stop huffing it... ;D

14. Steve Rotramel

Steve Rotramel We got some radical rebels in this county!

Ha ha George you are hilarious! We can always count on you to whip it out and piss as far as you can. Bet you got your pocket ruler in hand too in case there is any "measuring" to be done ha ha

15. Steve. I don't post much, but why the hate for George? What is your fascination? If your not joking your post makes you sound ignorant in the context of the conversation.

16. I have wondered about inhaling fiberglass, and paint fumes. I've been careful to wear gloves and a mask here lately.

17. Steve Rotramel

Ha ha not hate dude. I love George and he loves me. I do like to jerk his chain once in a while. He is a worthy adversary.

Are you???

18. Worthy adversary? Probably not. I don't get riled up to easy lol. I've got a good friend suffering from agent orange. I hate to see what it does to him. The stuff they went through was unimaginable. He's twice my age and doesn't talk about the war much but when he does I sure listen.

19. Steve Rotramel

Well you shouldn't get riled up at all. Just believe what you say and articulate your ideas in a persuasive way.

Your friend is actually suffering. George is on a "list". Everyone else's genuine suffering is "small potatoes" according to him.

Do you see a little clearer now? Or am I still ignorant?

20. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I didn't take it any other way Steve. You are SO correct. That "list" is peanuts to guys like mark c who suffers the brunt. My intention wasn't to brag, but show the bulls pit about medical "warnings". In California if you feed a friggin rat 10,000 times as much toe jam over the daily requirement and it develops cancer, the toe jam becomes a carcinogen. Doctors have a lot in common with Al Gore.