1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Saving a dried-up deer

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Jen F, Mar 8, 2014.

1. I just go in a deer that had been sitting in a barn out in the air for about four months. Almost the entire back hide is on this thing and the end of it was all moldy and smelly, with gobs of hair falling out. I cut off up to where it was still frozen. I added stop rot where I could. The area around one eye, or where there used to be an eye, is all hard and the tear duct is dried and pulled away from the skull. No hair seems to be falling out in the head and neck area, so I'm hoping it's still ok. It's still thawing. Is it possible to get this rehyrated so I can skin it? If so, would I soak the head in salt water? Not sure what type of process to use for this. This is a very old deer with an almost white rack. It's pretty cool looking,so I was hoping to save it. The guy is a good friend of ours and told us to do what we can with it. He'll settle for a euro or antler plaque if that's all he can get out of it. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

That is done, shot and will never work unless you want to mount a hairless deer. Had same thing last week, guy comes over with deer to mount, says he doesn't want to bring it in because it smells, had it in garage since January. Major sour smell, eyes turned to green mush, I mean really. Getting euro mount done. Laying out side not skinned is no good, its not a deep freeze and probably thawed and froze many times. Once it thaws the hair will slide right off, almost guaranteed.

3. I thought as much. The minute I saw it, I knew it wasn't going to be much good.This guy kept saying he was going to bring it up, but never got the chance. He's a logger and works out of town much of the time. My husband even offered to go get it. I would have gladly stored it for him. Oh well. I'll do what I can with it. With the rack being pretty unique, I'm sure he'll be please with a euro or antler plaque, if it comes to that. Thanks for the reply.

4. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

Talk the not so responsible hunter into a spare cape

5. Had a couple like that come in this winter - sold them a spare cape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. I don't have any spare capes, so I'd have to buy one. Not sure if he'd go for it or not, since a different cape would take away the character of this deer. It's entire face blondish white, it's so old.

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Here offer him this deal, $250 nonrefundable to try and save this turd or $200 to purchase a new cape on top of shoulder price, or pay for a euro or antler plaque. Make sure you charge a gag fee regardless.

8. Well Paul, you were right. No hope for this one :'(. Hair was slipping like crazy and everything was slimy, yuk!. I skinned out the head and could barely get the dried hide off the skull where there's no meat. I'lll have to see what the guy wants to do now. Next time I'll know to not even mess around with something like this. Thanks for everyone's comments and advice.

9. GWebb

GWebb Well-Known Member

Just my opinion based on what I have saw other hunters say about deer. They think their deer is old, they say it's muzzle is almost gray but he had bad genetics, only a spike or 4 point...I just shake my head the majority of the time. What they got is a run of the mill 1.5 year old buck that may have a bit of gray in it's muzzle, just like almost every other whitetail out there. As for the deer your speaking of, it must not have been too special to him or he wouldn't have let it set in a barn/building for a quarter of a year. I would eat the hide before I even attempted to save it and would have better luck keeping it down than I would saving the hide. Only options in my opinion would be a replacement cape, a European mount or the antler plaque.

10. I was thinking the same thing, so I'm not losing too much sleep over it. Supposedly it was a special hunt. He got it with his boys and he had this whole hunting story played out in his head that he would be able to tell. He got this great buck with his boys and his son's friend's mom mounted it and so on. Oh, well. I guess he'll have to talk about a skull now, unless he decides on a replacement cape.

11. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Sorry it didn't work out Jen but I figured it was a hope less cause. A week is about the limit I would trust a cape left out if and only if it is cold or in a butchers cooler, even then its iffy.

12. Silverose01

Silverose01 Proud member of LTBBOI

He left the whole deer out for four months? What a waste...

13. No, he butchered the meat, but left the entire cape and head just sitting on a tractor in a barn for all that time. I thought people knew better than that, but I guess not. I certainly didn't think this guy would do such a thing, but I guess you never know.

14. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Some people have to work hard hours away from home. Something has to give. Things like this just happen. It's life. I would talk him into a replacement cape. Tell him it will look great.

15. Jen I have a cape, taned, a little finish fleshing needed, older buck has some gray on it, a couple bullet holes to sew, I think it's
    7 1/2 x 19 x 22 $150.00.
    Jim