1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skulls turning black???

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by sbskullworks, Mar 8, 2014.

1. sbskullworks

sbskullworks Member

Been having a couple skulls turn this black color in a couple places (on the front as seen in the picture and also on the back of the skull). I am beetle cleaning, and degreasing with dawn and water (with a touch of ammonia). They are a little dark right when they come out of the beetle tank, but it really comes through when they get wet. Any thoughts as to why this is happening and/or how to get rid of it. A real bugger to get white.

Attached Files:

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I would almost say blood buildup but I can't say I have seen it follow this pattern. You may have to cycle degreasing and peroxide soaks a few times to get rid of it if it is.

3. sbskullworks

sbskullworks Member

Any specific reason I would be getting blood buildup? Any way to avoid that?

4. Bones N Beasts

Bones N Beasts New Member

Sometimes when the animal is lung shot the nasal bones are really bloody but I can think why it would be on the side of the skull like that. You could try and soak the skull in peroxide right after beetling to get rid of the blood right away. Also if you soak the skull in water for a few days before cleaning it draws a lot of the blood out and makes for a cleaner skull form the get go just make sure and dry it a little before you put it in the colony

5. wctaxidermy1

wctaxidermy1 Member

Are your skulls sitting in deep frass in your tank? Only thing I can think of if its holding bloody moisture close to that area and staining. Past that I've never seen anything like that just guessing. I've seen small amounts of that usually in tip of the nasal bone. As sea wolf said never seen that much in that area.

6. sbskullworks

sbskullworks Member

No, not sitting in any frass. Every time I put a new skull in I set it on a small fresh piece of cardboard to keep it out of the bedding. I don't know, maybe it has something to do with how I'm processing them. Typically, I get skulls in with the head cut off just below the base of the skull with the skin still on. I bag them and put them in a freezer until Im ready to beetle. Then I thaw, skin, and put in the beetles. Any problems that jump out at you with that? Or do you all prep immediately then freeze?

7. bugsandbones1

bugsandbones1 New Member

I do it just like u do. And have cleaned about 30 deer this past season today I checked my degrease tank and had one turn black like that on the back of the skull. Never seen that before but I hope it comes out

8. eurosbyRT

eurosbyRT Skull Designs

Its a bacteria, it goes away when all the grease is gone and peroxide will clean it up

9. bugsandbones1

bugsandbones1 New Member

Awesome thanks

10. Bones N Beasts

I prep then freeze I think its easier that way

11. bugsandbones1

bugsandbones1 New Member

Yes if a customer brings me something bit frozen I always prep first. Today was first time I seen one black. I do a lot of hydrographics this is my first season doing a lot of pure white skulls so the black thing was new to me being that with hydrographics your painting the skull anywuas so 100% degrease isn't a must

12. Bones N Beasts

Wont that make the paint fail

13. bugsandbones1

bugsandbones1 New Member

No. I degrease most of it but for most deer after a few weeks once you seal it prime it and paint it it holds just fine. Out of all te taxidermist I know that also dip none of them degrease at all. I'm just paranoid about it so I degrease anyways. I just don't always leave it in for months like your would a white skull ya know

14. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

That's blood in the bone, this is one of the drawbacks of using bugs, if the bone is blood shot it sets in as the head sits in the bug tank and stains the bones, it is never as bad as it is when you get it wet, and I think going into hot water actually sets it worst. A day or two soak in cold water with a splash of ammonia before going into the bugs can help, but you can get heads like that even with maceration, I think it is just how much of that blood gets into the bone and I don't think you will ever get it out of that one in your picture. Grease comes out, blood stains don't if they are under the surface of the bone like that, they will lighten but you will always have a orange yellow color where that stain is. Here is a deer that had blood stains to really bad, but not as bad as yours:
    [​IMG]

15. I have a muley that looks just like dogs, usually does seem to come out fine but I've never seen it so dark