1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what is the most difficult area of taxidermy

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by kickstart59, Mar 8, 2014.

1. kickstart59

kickstart59 Member

I'm thinking it is fish due to all the air brushing but would like to hear from you guys and girls?

2. It's birds for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. duxdown

duxdown New Member

The ones you have the least interest in. Fish for me, just won't even mess with them. Taxidermy is all about art and passion really. So my fish get farmed out.

4. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Cash flow/ proper money management. Rich one month and broke the next two. Otherwise I hate novelties as in lamps, ash trays, etc. and I will only do them when forced to along with a big order. I will not do jack a lopes.

5. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

I was thinking the same thing.

6. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

People not picking mounts up added to what James said which causes money management problems.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I am most interested in birds and struggle the most with the assembly of them. Never done fish. The stress of being entrusted with, in some cases, someones once in a life time trophy can be a little overwhelming at times. Or, some of the over bering customers who try to intimidate you with phrases like "now your not going to make me wait a whole year are you?" or " I just gave you my kids christmas gift money. You better not make me regret it." after telling me he really likes my work. Ya, dealing with less then cordial customers. That's my final answer. But, I do hate doing euro's. No, wait, ya, it's the customer thing.

8. Birds!!! I touch them and they fall apart. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong with the damn things but I swear to god they are my poison

9. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

You're all wrong, it is some of the customers.

10. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Well you did a fine job on the one you did for me Jim...... ;D

Attached Files:

11. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Thanks , "friend" but you have mistaken my work from someone else's. ;)

12. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

LOL......it's something I got years ago from an in-law. It was put on the wall as a joke obviously but had to keep it out of reach of any kid that accompanied their parents in my office, as the thing is obnoxious when you hit the button.......it's in a closet now where it belongs.....might have been Yoxie's then....lol

13. bamaslamma

bamaslamma New Member

me personally is saltwater fish, I think everyones most difficult part of taxidermy is the one they have the least interest in

14. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Answering questions like this....

15. Other than the business side ... try mounting a woodcock sometime

16. kickstart59

kickstart59 Member

Then why did you answer at all ?

17. ringytail

ringytail New Member

Paws! I just skinned my first cat and the paws took much more work than any other part of it.

18. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Because it is a most ambiguous answer to a most ambiguous question... ::)

19. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

The hardest part of taxidermy for me is getting started every morning. As far as specimens, a dove is the most difficult bird I have ever attempted to mount. They have all been disasters.

20. Tenbears

Tenbears Member

Joey. Doves are easy to do. one of the easiest for me! the trick is to wrap them tightly in a plastic bag, drive to Bedford, and give them to Kastaway to freeze dry. Easy peasy! as the gecko would say.

The hardest part of taxidermy for me is taking a day off. retired twice, and still doing it.