1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Air brush lessons

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by kickstart59, Mar 8, 2014.

1. kickstart59

kickstart59 Member

I have never been much of an artist with drawing etc so I am thinking I should take some air brush lessons. Do college or high school night classes teach this or do I find an art store to find lessons?
    Any ideas will be appreciated

2. There's all kinds of videos on YouTube , just practice on paper. I never used one before I started taxidermy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I am a decent , self taught Pen and Ink artist, but when I picked up an airbrush it was a totally different animal! After several years I'm just now getting comfortable enough to use bleeding colors like the Candy colors. Before I wouldn't hit the spot I was trying too or didn't pay attention where my overspray was hitting the fish.
    One thing that I have learned about airbrushing is that if your paint is not spraying well or not the right viscosity you've already shot yourself in the foot to start with.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Find a newspaper, start underlining words with paint from the airbrush, get it fine, then start circling words, it isn't hard to get the knack of it. In taxidermy, you are only misting paints lightly in layers, not painting a truck fender with thick heavy coats.

5. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

http://airbrushclasses.com/

6. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

One thing I wish I could find are lessons on how to clean, service, and repair air brushes. No matter how much I try, they always end up dirty and spitting even if I take them apart. I'm sure there's some magic trick, but I just don't know it and it seems like the more expensive the brush, the harder it is to clean and maintain.

7. I know there are some good YouTube videos on specific airbrushes on cleaning/taking apart. I watched a couple of them on Badger Velocity that I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. I have an Iwata HP BC and after every color I dunk the tip to the intake port and carefully scrub the tip with a toothbrush. I keep a small bucket of warm soapy water on hand. I then spray a few hits of 50/50 windex and 90% alcohol. I use 100% water based paints. when I am done for the day I clean the needle with steel wool (gently) and lube the needle and entire brush. My problems are minimal.

9. Tenbears

Tenbears Member

clean with acetone. dry well and always put a fine coat of airbrush lube on the needle as well as moving parts. Make sure your paint is not too thick. and use a bit of retarder. an H model has very little parts to maintain. only a single o ring in most cases. Centering the needle in the air orifice is important. VL models have a packing that can dry, and usually 2 o rings but do not require centering of the needle. Splitting of the fluid nozzle is the most common problem with VL models . again proper viscosity and a lightly lubed needle makes a world of difference.