1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need help from some experts identifying this HUGE trophy size? antler mount PICS

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by BroomHandle, Mar 10, 2014.

1. BroomHandle

BroomHandle New Member

I recently acquired this outstanding vintage Antler Rack mount, however, I need some expert advice as I know nothing about taxidermy or these mounts.....I think this would be called a 10 point antler rack? It measures: 38" wide at the widest point (34" wide exactly from widest two points) and is about 40" high not counting the mount. I have NO IDEA what type of animal these antlers were taken from. Can anyone positively identify the animal and or species that these magnificent antlers came from? Would these be considered "Trophy" size for this species and is it worth getting them fully restored? I know nothing regarding what these would bring value wise. I hope the photos provide enough information in order to get a 100% identification. Thanks for all your help guys and hello to the forum!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    5x5 elk and no not a "book" trophy. They are worth whatever you can get someone to pay for them.

3. brayden

brayden New Member

I agree with 3 bears!! not a record book elk,, maybe contact your local taxidermist and get him to refresh that for you,,,

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

It's just a run of the mill Rocky mountain/ American elk. The TROPHY, in my opinion, is in the age of it. Like having an antique decoration. If it were mine I'd leave it as is. I love stuff like this.

5. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    After seeing the pic with you and the smoke, I would have him mounted with a cig I his mouth ;)

6. With the smoke damage its maybe $75.00 worth of horn.

7. mmwtdh

mmwtdh Member

Nice smoke....

8. As has been posted....its an elk and an average to below average one at best.

Smoke damage makes it worth even less IMO. Dime a dozen.

9. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

In this crazy world we now chastise a person with a cigarette but if we saw someone with a joint you'd all say "Toke up man!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Strange world.

10. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

50 to 75 bucks....not a penny more

11. BroomHandle

BroomHandle New Member

Thanks for the few useful reply's, they are greatly appreciated. Tanglewood Taxidermy, I understand your love for the "Vintage" pieces. I was only drawn to them because they came right out of A.C. Gilbert's estate, from his personal Hunting Lodge! Considering its provenance I plan on keeping them mostly original. I'm personally not to worried wondering if Gilbert was a smoker or not though. 8)

I wasn't aware of how detrimental "smoke" damage can be! Though I must admit introducing myself as a new member feels like a mistake now. I can honestly say I didn't possibly realize how some of the reply's to my original post would become so darn condescending and unfriendly, all the while like Greg Livbucks said I was thinking to myself how hypocritical and judgmental things have become. I'll get a move on, but thanks to those, like myself, who appreciate the vintage of this piece!

12. livbucks

If you went at it with straight Mr. Clean and a scrub pad you'd think it was killed yesterday.

13. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Are all people getting like this, the hurt puppy pretense of late, or is it unique to our newest members? What the heck. Does anyone know how to be intelligent enough to laugh at ones self, and with others, and not take everything personal? Thats more sad than smoking.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I think his bubble was popped when he found out that his magnificent HUGE rack was only a two year old teenage bull.

15. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

The guy asked a couple straight forward questions because like he stated,he knows 0 about taxidermy.there are some true comedians on this site let me tell ya.
    Why comment about the cig? Who cares .next time a bald guy post a pic of him and his trophy,I'll be sure to post about his slick head instead of his original post.same concept.if you cant help a guy out-move on. Why waste your time even commenting when it helps no one?

16. livbucks

OMG....I remember when a certain member got the nickname "Junkman" from the same kinda thing.

17. Bill Yox

True...but cmon. Loosen up.

18. livbucks

Dont go startin on Bill now. ;D

19. buckshot541

buckshot541 New Member

here here brother

20. Bill Yox

Haha greg good one bud. 8)