1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bald Eagle Mount

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by BrookeSFD16, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    ;D :D ;D :D

2. falco

falco Trapping is fun

ALL birds and animals fear his shadow, …. flies higher so it can see better…;D ;D ;D
    Who do you think you are talking to, Kindergarten kids ?

Obviously you have not studied bald eagles and any other animals behaviour toward bald eagles in the field…
    Bald eagles are nothing but a glorified scavenging fish eagle, in my opinion they have been praised by human ONLY due to their white head and tail that contrasts against their dark brown body that makes them look different, and cool…( even the immature bald eagles are out of the bracket, since they are pure ugly) .and if you read a few Native american notes and listen to their religious talks, you can easily fall for what you have fallen for….
    in fact what Natives LOVE the most for their head dresses, is Immature golden eagle feathers.
    but We should give them the credit they deserve though, they do kill other birds too specially mallards and geese under some circumstances, and they have been photographed attacking a swan in flight.
    Nine out of ten dead bald eagle that I get in have been road killed,… yup,.. scavenging on road sides while there are plenty of open lakes full of fish, … I guess why work hard when there is a free badger on the side of the road.

Obviously you haven't seen the nesting black birds that kick the $hit out of any passing through raptors including ALL eagles. to the point that they chase the eagle off for a half a mile and you see that eagle is pumping its wings quicker to get the hell out of the territory.
    So its not all birds and animals are feared when an eagle show up.
    In reality, its all in the behaviour, quarries can tell what that Raptor is upto, . When your trained sharp shinned hawk leaves your glove after a bunch of sparrows, often times she uses a flight pattern (known as Mocking bird flight) with an average speed and pretending she is not hunting so she can get closer to the sparrows and once she get in her range, she turns on the engines and goes for them.. and interestingly enough most of the times , the sparrows fall for that trick and let the hawk gets closer, but once the hawk turns the page, you should see how those sparrows change attitude and they shove themselves into the first gofer hole they see.
    Or when the relaxed soaring and gliding Gyr falcon comes into the area, the flock of field feeding mallards keep doing their business relaxed, and sure enough the Gyr soars away, but next minute another Falcon comes in with quick wing beats that means business, makes all the ducks take off and fly way.

The sparrows behave different when they see a merlin or a sharp shinned hawk vs when they see a Harrier or a red tailed hawk.
    Have you seen the starlings and sparrows nesting right under the Eagles nest on a giant tree ? probably not.
    in fact the smaller the quarry the less fear they have from bigger raptors, why ? because they know they have nothing to do with them…
    If you study a little, you will see that its not only in bird world,. You must have not seen that herds of impalas or gazelles keep grazing relaxed in African plain when a relaxed cheetah or lion is hanging out in the vicinity. Its all in the behaviour.

No bird is dumb, thats how WE THINK.
    If a ruffed grouse sits there to be shot like a target, doesn't mean its dumb, its because their instincts defines danger in a different shape and figure than a human with shotgun, (although if you show up and shoot them enough times in their area regularly, they will be fearful of you too)… but you should see the same so to speak DUMB ruffed grouse behaviour when you show up with a hungry Goshawk on your glove, all of sudden they are not dumb anymore.

Getting a turkey neck caught up in a NET and defining them as dumb ?…. how about that monkey that grabbed a banana in a box through a tiny hole and couldn't get his hand out and got trapped, while he could just let go off the banana and run away.. and monkeys are NOT known as dumb. You shouldn't compare animals intelligence level to human mind.

Attached Files:

3. In Australia the largest bird of prey is the wedge tailed eagle,they are able to lift up a baby lamb /dogs if needed but why hunt when their is road kill,save your engey. I call that smart. :) by the way their wing span is 232 cm big boys

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Oh Falco, I see you're back as God's gift to the birdbrsins. I have to admit I haven't "studied" them. I didn't need to as I watched them. For every rule there's an exception. Some grizzly bears run from man and eat bloated roadkill. Does the keep off the top of the food chain?

5. falco

falco Trapping is fun

hahaha,, yeah I go and I come back… I don't live here like you . and Im no gift to anyone like you to everyone.
    and I don't get involved in EVERY topic like you, because i don't know EVERYTHING like you ;)

Bull….You obviously haven't watched, you wish you have... (which is by the way called Field STUDY, in case you didn't know)...your words are the first proof and the number of your posts is the second proof.. ;)
    how can you leave your computer and watch wildlife, or even do Taxidermy, ::) then who is going to troll the internet?
    unless you can be in two places at one time ;D

All Im saying is, instead of adding to your 30,000 and some post in hullava hurry, do some research about what you have to say.

6. George

I've mounted 3 bald eagles and 2 Golden's. Once you get that close, "field study" takes in a whole new meaning. But you might take a peek at history. I've never seen an American Indian with a buzzard feather headdress. The Romans used it as their symbol.So did the Germans and the Americans. The first manned vehicle to land in the moon was called the EAGLE. The finest fighter jet of the last century was called the EAGLE. There are no turkeys it starlings, or even peacocks or quails. There are no songs about ostriches or magpies. There are no poems about albatrosses or penguins. So perhaps a bit of field study in anthropomorphism would serve you well.

BTW Falco, congratulations. Your post was the first this week that tried to make the number of my postd some validation of what they had to say.

7. falco

falco Trapping is fun

;D ;D ;D
    5 eagles !!!
    who are you trying to rub that number in on ? Me ?
    ;D ;D ;D

I never deny that, eagles are one of the most majestic birds in the wild, (from Human Perspective).
    In the wild, different story, they are just another bird,…No animal is going to watch a soaring eagle and say:" How majestic , Id better decorate my nest/den with their feathers " ;D… in the food chain, Bald eagles are not as much of a hunter as the other eagles, thats just a fact.

Next time if you were lucky enough to have a bald eagle and a golden eagle side by side in your freezer, " thats when you get TOO close to them ;-)" as you said,, do yourself a favour and compare their feet anatomy …that will serve you a lot more than the History books.
    if you can't wait, come to my place I got at least 4 of each in my freezers . ;)

8. George

Not trying to impress anyone, just fact and on this side of the pond, having done one eagle of any type is significant. In fact, when I wrote the story about it, I was asked, "Where did YOU get an eagle to mount."

BTW, eagles ARE hunters, they just don't kill what they eat as often as the Goldens or even the red tailed hawks. (It must be nice to have specimen like that in your personal freezer. I envy you.)

9. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Here's one that likes more exotic table fare.
    [​IMG]

10. Ron B

Alabama
    DL..........that eagle is not trying to "kill" that swan!!!!! ;) :eek: :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

11. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I wondered why the swans mouth was open.

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

George, George, George. The Albatross: Poem by Kate Bass. The Albatross: Poem by Charles Baudelaire. The Albatross: Poem by Hanna F. Gould. And of course, The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner which is probably the best known poem about an Albatross. ;) Sorry George, I couldn't resist.

13. George

Got me.

14. Ron B

Alabama
    Listen people! All we are trying to say is; if a bald eagle, and a golden eagle went one on one, in the octagon, the golden eagle would kick the bald eagles ass wings down! Yeah...a bald eagle can be a bad ass, snatching the fish heads off the front of your boat, or "air banging" a swan......but the golden eagle is the Chuck Norris of the eagles !!!!

15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I turkey hunt near, and sometimes on, a cattle ranchers land. I always check in and out when I hunt his land. One day at dusk on my way out I saw him feeding the cows and I went down to shoot the breeze. 50 yards away a hen turkey was franticly running back and forth in front of a fence line. I asked what that hen was doing and he said " Well, she flew over that fence there and went under that one there and on the way to this one, she forgot what a fence was and can't figure out how to get past it." It was fall and hens are legal here in fall and he said "Why don't you go put her out of her misery." I felt too sorry for the old girl. She may still be trying to get past that fence for all I know.

16. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

It seems nature's instincts of a turkey to understand a fence, are about as acute as that of a bald eagle to understand a vehicle when they are hunting roadkill.

17. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

I wonder if sasquatches "fear" the bald eagle.

Attached Files:

18. Ron B

Alabama
    A golden eagle can choke a bald eagle to death.....with a cordless phone!!!!!

19. wctaxidermy1

wctaxidermy1 Member

Nope only "Packas" fans.

20. falco

falco Trapping is fun

Its funny that only gunshots are defined as illegal when it comes to killing eagles:
    I guess if there is top dollars involved, then its ok to kill them and its called accidents.

http://www.windaction.org/posts/39606-bald-eagle-and-golden-eagle-mortalities-at-wind-energy-facilities-in-the-contiguous-united-states#.UyKI-VxM5g0