1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Import Law?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Eva, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Eva

Eva Member

Does anyone know about commercial wildlife import law? I want to import some jewel beetle wings (dead insect parts). They are not on any CITES or any restriction list. I was thinking of just hiring a broker to deal with the details but who has to get the import license? I contacted one brokerage and they are instructing me to get an import license. I thought the broker had all the licenses as part of the service. Was I wrong on this?
    -Eva

2. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

Yes I think you are!! The Emerald Ash Bore is just coming into my area and my ash trees are at risk. We don't need any more disease from over seas

3. Tenbears

Tenbears Member

search the USDA site for regulations on the importation of laws and regulations. there are treatment issues on some things. they may need to be brought into a USDA licensed inspection facility. In any event. I would not act without documentation regarding proper action. even the word of an official can be grossly incorrect. and in the end the responsibility falls upon you.

4. Eva

Eva Member

Yes, I have searched USDA regs and not found any info pertaining to the question as to WHO specifically had to get the licenses and permits. The regs are not clear as written on any info I have yet found. If someone here has actual experience that would be helpful, I would appreciate it. But that is not to say that taxidermy.net is going to be my only source of info. I am trying to gather as much info as I can from all potential sources and am also looking for suggestions on customs brokers. People with experience are often very helpful though as they have dealt with multiple branches of the govt.

Scottdawg, the wings from jewel beetles do not threaten ash trees or any other. THey are dead insect wings only that are legal to import and export. Many pests come in hidden in pallets of shipments, some of which are not even wildlife related originally but little critters can sneak in there at place of origin or at any airport inbetween. They also can smuggle in cars, clothing and shoes of travelers, backpacks, etc. They can also smuggle their way in on lumber and furniture and on boats. Do you plan to halt all shipments from any other country ever? If that were to happen, the economy would immediately collapse and ash trees would be the least of your worries.