1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Neuropathic Hydrocephalus Calf

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by PLTannery, Mar 12, 2014.

1. This one will be a Shoulder mount as well as a Finished skull.

This particular deformity, only found in Angus cattle develops very little to no identifiable brain tissues, and basically develops an Anencephalitic Skull with a Huge fluid filled sac. I removed more than 2 liters of CSF out of the sack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

Interesting. Never seen anything like that before.

3. Very impressive ! I always like to see strange ones and you seem to get quite some.

4. bitbit

bitbit New Member

Very cool. Was it a stillborn?

5. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl Member

So cool! I am so envious of the specimens you acquire lol

6. Orkman-X

Orkman-X New Member

amazing how the poor thing can develop so far without a brain...
    You get nice 'freaky' specimens, congratz.

7. ALOT of networking to acquire all these...

Bitbit- Yes it was stillborn. In this deformity the brain does not develop so the calf cannot control even the simplest of bodily functions like breathing and a beating heart... So as soon as the calf is disconnected from the cow it dies, or maybe never "lived" in the traditional sense. The whole brain in this calf was less than the size of a mandarin orange with a deformed brain stem.

Orkman-X- It is surprising how much of development must be controlled by the cow although most of these calves weigh in at 25-35 pounds, this one was a normal full term size at 74 pounds.

8. Super.
    Post some photos of the finished mount when you can. Did you preserve the deformed brain as a wet specimen?

9. I was planning on wet preserving the brain, but the calf had been dead for 3 days when I got it and the fluid around the brain had made the tissues so soft I could not remove them without it turning to liquid.

10. Non-Typical_IL

Non-Typical_IL Member

I've heard abou tthis with the Angus breed, yet we've not had an issue in the years of running 150 head. Was the bloodline identified? Just curious.

11. Yes it seems they did identify the original carrier...

This article names the bull.

http://vetbook.org/wiki/cow/index.php/Neuropathic_hydrocephalus

12. would the skull be for sale? I collect deformed skulls...

13. This skull will not be for sale at this time.

14. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Positively would like to see pics as you go along with it.