1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Airbrush compare

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by jigginjim, Mar 12, 2014.

1. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Can anybody give me info on how iwata HP BC OR HP BC PLUS, may compare to the Iwata HP BC1P.

2. FinFlight

FinFlight TRAIL CREEK

Buy a badger valocity you won't be sorry I love mine.I very rarely use my iwata anymore.

3. DZach

DZach New Member

I just bought a Iwata at a pawn shop, new- in box. gotta hellofa deal. I know nothing about using airbrushes, but really want to learn. I am currently using acrylic paint, but don't like using water for a thinner. It seems about the time you get the amount of paint on that you want, it's running off, and any thicker it doesn't spray. I tried Safety Solvent for a thinner and it worked okay, but it drys fast and then won't flow either. What are you using for a thinner? Hobby Lobby had a 2 different thinners. Neither one mentions which paints to use it with. One was for air brushes and was in the model airplane section, so I was thinking that one was for enamels, so I got the other. Should I be using a retarder with the Safety Solvent? I really like the way the airbrush works with blending in the colors. This should probably be in the Arts section, but it seemed to fit here, hoping for some advice!!!

4. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I was using water based paints for all my work. I have decided to which to lacquer paint for all my fish. I can paint faster, clean up my airbrushes quicker, doing more in the shop makes things go better. I have even started doing spear fishing decoys, as a side hobby for winter fishing. Lacquer can even speed the painting of more decoys which I can sell also.

5. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

Everybody develops differently. I start out with a badger then went to a Wold and now Iwata (now I have two of these). Everyone will tell you how great theirs is so if your just starting out just make sure it is a double action and practice.

6. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I had too much splat from my paint, I would thin down so much they didn't cover. I heard of another trick add thinner before adding paint to cup. Tried with a couple lacquers seemed to work rather neat.