1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Slippage repair advice

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Duckslayr, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Ok guys, how would you go about addressing this one? It's a lifesize yellow back duiker, so replacement is out. I've never "dropped a wedge" but with this short hair, I don't see that working. I'm leaning towards cutting out what I can and transplanting hair where I can't. What say you?

2. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Pics not loading. Not sure why?

3. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

[​IMG] ok, went old school with photo bucket

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    That is going to take some artistic finish work to make that disappear, isn't it? Sorry I can't help but am wishing you well on that one.

5. Samson

Samson New Member

my idea would be: mount it up and when it is dry, airbrush the white patches dark and see if you have any rest skin from what you cut of the back of the mount to glue in the front. If there is nothing left maybe goat fur in the right colour could help. then blend in with airbrushing. I had to glue in some fur on a Springbock and Impala head and it is doable.
    sorry about my crappy English, it is not my mother language.
    Greetings, Karin

6. Samson

Samson New Member

ups, I just read it is a livesize mount not a gamehead. :-[ sorry
    maybe you could "steal" a little fur from here and there all over the rest of the animal to glue it in the front patches. just really little so it is not noticeable?
    Greetings, Karin

7. Steve Rotramel

Steve Rotramel We got some radical rebels in this county!

Jared I would lean toward fixing it best as possible in the finish. If you cut you're gonna have seams to deal with and it looks practically hairless there anyway. Tough call tho. By handling each spot separately you might be able to take it all out.

That's why you get the big bucks right? Making those tough calls ha ha

8. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

So THAT'S why I make the big bucks! I was wondering when I was going to actually EARN all of this money I'm making! LOL! Thanks Steve! And thank you Karin and 3bears as well!

I'm going to start with repairing the holes and seeing just how much the seems will show from sowing, then glue hair from there once dry. Believe it or not, I'm thinking otter might be very close. If anyone has any otter scrap they could part with, please let me know. It will be a while before I get this one done, but I'll post pics when it's finished and keep ya posted. Thanks again!