1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

custom carved Northern Pike

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by brayden, Mar 12, 2014.

1. brayden

brayden New Member

been custom carving all my fish mounts since I left taxidermy school 8 yrs ago, just love creating the custom poses!! what do you think?

Attached Files:

2. Looks difficult to carve and mount but never seen one swimming like that. Is this to be mounted with casted hands holding it? Also I would position the trailing edges of the anal and dorsal fing more parallel with the body. From what I can see of the pic it looks really proportionate, and the head looks real good!!

3. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Nice paint job too!

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Personally if your client likes it that's awesome but for me you have a broken back and that is not a natural looking fish in it's environment.

5. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

In my younger years I used to carve pike bodies like that sometimes. They looked kinda neat but often wondered if a pike could actually do that. I know their bodies can be put into that position, but while they are alive? Anyways, the pike looks good, it looks like you have an anatomy problem behind the head. There is to much body shown that should be hidden by the head.

6. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    my back hurts
    lol

hmmmm

7. brayden

brayden New Member

don't you think when these fish get aggressive ,that they can move like this? I just remember these pike coming up to the boat! their bodies don't just move side to side. I always give my skin mount fish customer a little extra,, maybe im trying to hard!!!!!!

8. DT10Sam

DT10Sam No flow no go!

Brayden...these fellows on here that are giving you advise are some of the best in the industry and are assisting you when you ask for their advise. I definitely see what they are referring to and yes your customers do appreciate your work and with the assistance of others on here you will definitely achieve a more realistic mount that will attract their friends to your business as well. I have never seen a pike bend the way you have it mounted, however you seem to have carving and mounting down quite well and are leaps and bounds ahead of many. Study anatomy and kinesiology and your mounts will come to life and separate you from the others. You are never trying too hard in this industry sometimes you are not trying hard enough to get out of habits. Just my thoughts.

Regards,
    Sam

9. brayden

brayden New Member

I certainly appreciate the comments,, my goal is to offer the best I can. sorry if it sounded like I didn't like the comments very well. love this site!!definitely don't want my mounts to be extreme in the wrong direction,,, thanks for the council

10. Wouldn't hurt to look at pics and videos of them underwater. Like you said they don't just move in an S or side to side, I have just never seen them arched that much. But I do think a cool idea (I have seen it done before) would be the exact pose you have there with the fish supported by 2 cast hands like it is being held for a picture. You can mount the hands to a panel on the wall. I have also seen a LM bass mounted vertically with the mouth wide open and a hand on a plaque lipping it.

11. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

I'm aaaaalll about poses that break away from the standard mouth open tail up or down. Good for you for having the talent to carve your own. I do think they should appear natural though. A nice closed mouth fish swimming action looks awesome. One thing I've yet to see too much of are natural fins. On closed mouth repro's I like to chop the spiny dorsal off and make it laying down. Very rare do you see this up and flaring. And each of the other fins I would love to see in a relaxed manner. One of my favorite repro's is a bass that has a straight body and closed mouth like its suspended in the water but all of its fins including the tail are straight and spread wide open which doesn't look natural at all. One day when I learn to mold my own that's what I'd concentrate on. Not bashing molders on here, there are some great repro's being produced.

12. Brayded, what type of foam are you using for your bodies?

13. wishbone

wishbone New Member

I dont think they bend like that...maybe with a massive
    Hook set haha....looks super cool tho ..good job!

14. brayden

brayden New Member

Mckenzie (non cfc) regular carving foam

15. 3daddysinc.

3daddysinc. 3Daddys taxidermy studio and wildlife attractants

I think it looks great........