1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mckenzie sells out

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by michael j, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Had a client call for a quote on a repro hippo, gave him the price, delivered and hung on his wall, a couple weeks latter I was told he called McKenzie himself and bought the hippo and got the 12% discount ( over $1000 .00 ) The man is a butcher by trade , not a taxidermist at all. McKenzie has no loyalty to the taxidermist who buy from then on a regular basis. I know it's a free enterprize system and they can sell to whom they choose,

Just letting everyone know what happened,

michael j

2. Jim Kimball

Jim Kimball New Member

I know this is a dog eat dog world...... but this SUCKS !!

3. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Are Taxidermist truly licensed in all states ? NO! It would be impossible to regulate who is and who is not a taxidermist. As long as they have a tax I.D. number they can sell it to them without paying sales tax.

What you are asking supply companies to do would require a federal regulation and also cut out that poor little 10 year old boy from ordering his first items as most of us did.

4. NO what i am saying is they shouldn't bite the hand that feeds them, I spend almost 20K a year at mckenzie, they have the best service and good products, Just don't give our clients a dicount when they go behind our back to do the purchase, This guy is doing an elaphant hunt next year , bet he buys the repro mount direct again,

mj

5. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

yeah I don't get that either, they could charge taxidermists less if they wanted to, they just don't want to. My dad ran a service station for 23 years, all of the parts stores sold him parts at dealer cost which was way cheaper than joe blow off the street paid, no license involved just a business account.

People say " you get 12% off if you order enough" yes, that's true but in all other instances when a business buys supplies from their supplier they get the discount on every item all the time.

6. duxdown

duxdown New Member

You know the worst thing is yes they can purchase just as us taxidermists do but even worse is when our educated hunters come packing a Mckenzie book through your door.

7. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Not the type of customer you want anyway. This type will take their own steak to the steakhouse to have it cooked and expect a discount!

8. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Oh its more of an annoying thing. I would rather them tell me what they want and let me have liberty. I explain that it might fit there's might not without working the form and that cost extra. Besides I might rather use someone else's form.

9. ELMER GANTRY

ELMER GANTRY **THE DISTANCE OF GOOSE**

Last week he couldn't even spell "taxidermist" :eek: this week he "R" one... ;D ;D ;D

10. michael p.

Once again, how do you 'PROVE' somebody is a taxidermist without a mandated 50 state license provision.... answer me that. It would have to be mandated by federal law. Trust me, I'd rather have a client but an elephant than have a politician set forth mandatory license requirements.

11. your crazy !!! all that would be needed is a business letter head , business card, etc, on file set up an account and buy like the rest of us do, Let's say you wanted to fix your pick up truck with original factory parts, you can't call ford in Detroit, you have to go to a reg. dealer to get them, or let the NON taxidermist pay full retail no discount, As for the 10 year old I would like to buy his supplies so I know he is getting off on the right start and not all upset when things don't fit and waste his lawn mowing money.

is my spelling better Elmer ??

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Damn, it was less than a week between "let's piss and moan about McKenzie" posts. Does your plumber and electrician complain when you goe to Lowes? Does your mechanic gripe about you using AutoZone? Does your tire dealer bitch when you buy tires at SAM'S? How about your butcher when you buy Omaha Steaks? But I know;"That's different".

13. ELMER GANTRY

ELMER GANTRY **THE DISTANCE OF GOOSE**

The reference wasn't to you per se' but towards the "butcher" who is now a "taxidermist".... :-\ I guess I had better not quit my day job..... :eek: :eek: :eek:opppps forgot I don't have one ;D ;D ;D

14. RJ Simington

RJ Simington Active Member

How about the guys that go to the shows, ( State, Nationals, & World shows) That just pay for the daily admittance fee , but yet they go & order all of their forms with the vendors & get the same discounts that you & I get & we are paying Full attendance fees.

I have even seen several years of the same person, Ordering ahead of time so the Vendors will bring their order to the show & not have to pay ANY shipping.

WOW , that really supports the shows. The last time I competed I think my entrée fees & attendance was over $160. But the same guy paid his $ 5.00 to get in . ( That's fair right ?????? ):(

I realize that most of the vendors meet new clients this way , but on the other hand it is frustrating when you have people that will WEASLE their way around our normal requirements that most of us have to do to get those discounts.

& yes a LOT of our customers come in to the same shows also & get the magazines & have the same access to the discounts.

THEN, the jerks , ( Jokingly or not) ask us why we charge so much when the forms aren't that expensive.

Mike I agree TOTALLY with what you are saying in this post. But I bet you that NOTHING will ever change .

RJ Simington

15. michael p.

Oh yeah..... that's REALLY going to work!! LMAO! And you call me crazy...... but you say a business letter head or business card will stop this.... oh gawd, I've heard it ALL now!

16. Anyone can print out letter head or cards whether they have a business or not.

17. Thanks RJ , at least someone understands me, any way Mike Gillis will be at out show in a few weeks I'll run it by him, so I am done with this post !!!!!

18. michael p.

Be sure to bring business letter head along so he knows you're serious!!! :) (j/k good luck)

19. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Wow this example kind of sucks for the OP, but just maybe this person called McKenzie first and was just checking his options and figured for the extra he would have to pay you he could hang it himself. How can you fault a guy for that?
    How the hell can you fault McKenzie for selling their product to a customer? Why would McKenzie care who buys their products, as long as they're selling?
    An example of requiring a letterhead or something is pretty ridiculous, when you think about it. I bet he has a professional letterhead for his business, it may not specifically say taxidermy but how many of taxidermists out there also process game, so their letterheads also say something about that.
    We've all heard it I'm sure, "since I've brought you so much work, how about a discount on this mount?" I know my response is to ask them if they work extra for less money. Yet when we talk about suppliers, we're the ones asking for the discount because we order from them on a frequent basis. What makes some think they can have it both ways?
    I can tell you from past experiences in other fields you get discounts from suppliers by buying in bulk, just as McKenzie does it, not by buying a little here and there.
    I'm sure some will disagree with me but that's life.

20. I just installed a new radiator from Autozone in the wifes van on Tuesday. My mecanic owes me around a grand for some taxidermy work even. I'm all about saving money just like your butcher. I wouldnt be too pissed off......the guy might just decide on a skin mount on that elephant.