1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mckenzie sells out

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by michael j, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Why do you guys use McKenzie then?

2. It would be great if taxidermy supply companies would only sell to taxidermist but I know it's not reasonable to expect a free enterprise company to limit its potential profit margin.
    I do know of a electrical supply and a plumbing supply company that gives hefty discounts to businesses/contractors that are registerd as such with there company. I don't think it's to much to think a taxidermy supply company could do the same. Or at least offer the quantity discount to taxidermist. We put a man on the moon in 1970 with antiquated technology I don't believe there's not enough brain power to develop a method for a supply company to ID and register actual taxidermy business in this day in time. Just my thought.

3. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

Tanneries do it...

4. Well, the show organizer could set it in the supplier contract that any sales on the motel property such as a supplier to a taxidermist, the taxidermist must have paid registration fees.

I do know at a fur auction, you cannot buy or sell furs on the same grounds as the auction. This way all have to pay the appropriate fees.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The same guys hitching now are the same ones who'd have screamed like raped apes if a supplier would have charged them more when they were beginners. I think McKenzie should refuse to deal with anyone who gripes about how they do business.

Bill, they like Yogi Bera when invited to go to a restaurant. He said, "Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded."

6. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

It's not just mckenzie it's all taxidermy suppliers.

7. Jeff Lumsden

George you need to think about becoming President of Mckenzie then you could really level the playing field. :eek:

8. George

LMAO Jeff, I'm pushing 70 and its a bit late for aspirations of grandeur, but if I had the gripes about McKenzie that you have, I'd either use another supplier or build my own.

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    The playing field is level, everyone pays the same. Pro, novice the price is the same. What more do you want?

10. Jeff Lumsden

Teddy bear, it was an analogy, Geo got it.

11. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Yep, all electrical & plumbing supply companies hire 'licensed' employees....do you not expect it to be the same? To do so..... how do you suggest we do it? In your words 'plumbing supply company that gives hefty discounts to businesses/contractors that are registerd as such with there company. I don't think it's to much to think a taxidermy supply company could do the same. Or at least offer the quantity discount to taxidermist. We put a man on the moon in 1970 with antiquated technology I don't believe there's not enough brain power to develop a method for a supply company to ID and register actual taxidermy business in this day in time. Just my thought'....... in my thought.... how ducking much more is it going to cost to school & keep regulations on my employees..... you know damn well how a 'regulated' business by the government works.

The same Taxidermist pushing for cheaper prices on shipping & more regulation doesn't even know the difference in 'there' & 'their'..... and I'm supposed to trust you when you call for more regulation..... when you do not even realize you did.

You [expletive deleted]s never even touch on the 'Taxidermy Businesses' whom order still & still pay sales tax.... your eye is on the supply company & the customer you are not going to get..... and you totally missed the guy next door operating at a 36% less tax rate..... we're dealing with [expletive deleted]ing geniuses !

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Jeff, if you were responding to me, what were you comparing? I guess I don't get it. My response was just intended as a little humor, in light of this whole damn thread being about McKenzie not offering deeper discounts to some who think they deserve them.

13. My earlier response to the post never eluded to or premised government regulation as contingency for qualification of ( for a lack of better term) whole sale pricing or quantity discounts of materials. The thought is nice but as I stated not nessasarily realistic. Government is out of control enough and I pray I'm long gone before they meander there way into our business and I certain that's something we can all agree on.
    But on the thought of whole sale or discount pricing.......
    When I whole sale a piece for another taxidermist I don't expect them to licensed employees or be board certified, but I do need to know there are an established business to apply a different price to the producer than the lay person/street customer.
    I buy whole sale habitat material from a whole sale florist supply company ( they don't sell to street customers at all) that required proff of business before I could purchase there. I provided a copy of my state permit from fish and wild life which sufficed, or I had the option of providing a tax ID.
    There are ways of proof of business weather it be a state taxidermy possession permitt, federal migratory bird possession permit, tax ID #, checking account with a business name, a DBA permitt for your county or state if its required, income tax record with DBA name and I'm sure there are many other ways to establish ID those are just a few shooting from the hip.
    The original post was a subject I had never really given any thought to before tonight but in retrospect there are a lot of companies that provide ( preferred, wholesale, discount ) pricing to established business. In addition to the electrical and plumbing supply I eluded to, beauty supply, floral wear housing, all of the sporting goods that my father- in-laws store comes from Farris brothers, all of the food products he sells comes from whole sell food suppliers who again don't sell to public at the same price some don't even sell to the public and there are many more.
    So the possibility of having a taxidermy material supply company that could do the same is not an unrealistic thought. Now don't miss understand me I'm not complaining about how these companies are running there business I'm saying its not an unrealistic though.

14. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Furandfin, are plumbing and electrical an integral part of todays world? Yes, therefore everyone in the modern world needs them. Taxidermy and taxidermy supplies are not. It is that simple. I use to order materials for a company in residential construction. The only way I got a discount is by buying in volume. If I purchased anywhere less than a semi full, I paid the same price that you could buy it at. This appears to be the way McKenzie has chosen to handle it as well, the more you buy at one time the bigger your discount. Therefor the bigger shops, that do more mounts, do get a bigger discount, but the smaller shops get a discount as well, it is dependent on how much you support them. I don't see an issue with this.

15. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I give up^^^^ white flag.

16. 3bears you have an excellent point, your post was well said, you are absolutely correct. I have to say I have a better perspective.
    And I hope the English majors will forgive me if I have made a spelling error LOL.... I'm working in the ER tonight and its difficult to get good service from our phones because of lead walls (x-ray protection) and I can't link up with auto correct or spell check.

17. George

No wonder the average ER wait time is 6-7 hours. The ER techs, pretending to be tsxidermists, are on the internet bitching about taxidermy supply companies not giving them discounts.

18. Lol George, that I do not doubt. The main office for the county's paramedics is located in the hospital ER and that's where I were stuck last night.

19. It's pretty simple. I rarely show my clients the catalogs I order from.

20. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

I have customers that bring their copy of the mckenzie catalog with them. I don't have a problem with my customers knowing what I pay for supplies, in fact it has been pretty enlightening for some of them, but the fact that they can buy them at the same price just kind of sucks.