1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mckenzie sells out

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by michael j, Mar 13, 2014.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Great, a part time guy bitching...... WOW, trust me, if you're complaining about shipping being part time taxidermist then I know you can make more money detailing cars.

Don't take it personal, I can tell from your pic you're AWESOME..... but deal with what you're complaining about, my life makes makes my car, house, tax, insurance, vacation, utility and food payment..... and I'm not complaining..... I'm just shaking my head at you....really???

2. Man, post an opinion in response to another taxidermist post and wined up fixated on "creepy"

3. Funny how these things come up, I just sent an e-mail to Ken asking his opinion on this very topic. I had always wondered why the supply companies had not gone to a jobber pricing system. Since my e-mail to Ken and reading this thread I have given the topic a fair bit of thought. Back in my mechanic days there was a fair percentage difference in parts pricing for the shop which would allow for a decent mark up and profit margin, but this was based on some basic aspects that our industry does not share with the automotive parts industry. Jobber or shop pricing is based on a multiple factors that our industry does not share. 1) There are no standard suppliers to distributor set-ups, meaning there is not a primary supplier/manufacturer of the manikins which provide to a retailer. This leads to No. 2) which is "Unilateral Pricing" or the minimum pricing the industry will sell a part for. This is the pricing the manufacturers have concurred upon as the minimum it can be sold for. Most of our suppliers manufacture their manikins in house which eliminates this pricing tool. 3) The demand for materials by our customers is not nearly as high as it is in the automotive parts arena which is a disincentive for suppliers to develop a split pricing structure. Now that is speculation on my part but am willing to believe that metrics on this would be very hard to obtain. 4) And as M.P. has discussed above, there is not a consistent way for "true business" verification. Too many variables between states and municipalities. The only possible way I can see that a verification could be made is if all had a Federal Tax I.D. Some have one some don't. But I'm with M.P, the last thing we need is added regulation. The final aspect against this is the benefit to the supplier. What actual added benefit would the supplier derive from splitting the pricing structure? What is the justification for the costs of doing so? None that I can see.

The way I see it now, is that to maintain the same profit level the supplier would have to increase their current pricing prior to providing the discount for the jobber pricing because the demand by our customers purchasing their own supplies is not enough to offset the discount provided to us. Unfortunately, as nice as jobber pricing would be for the business taxidermist it just does not make good business sense nor does it provide added benefit for the established supplier to invest in the effort.

Ken I think I answered my own questions - ::)

4. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Wow, good try at a deflection from your horrible ideas.

PS- 'wined' up is a drink bitch slamming Boones Farm....'wind' up is the correct word you are looking for. I am not the grammar police, but it's hard to try and hold an educated debate with somebody who cannot spell common terms...... please try harder..... especially considering you are an educated individual.

5. Dan Gill

Dan Gill New Member

Call Mckenzie and tell them you want to buy one of their $69. Archery deer targets. Then you will see where they protect who.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Mac, I read what you wrote and still don't have a clue as to what you're trying to say there, though it must me sensible. I spent all those years in the military being force fed the ideologies of "metrics" and the fact remained that when I asked for a detailed explanation in comprehensible language as to exactly what a "metric" was, I got bureaucracy speak. That's what you just gave to a bunch of people who're looking for some "bag guy" to blame for their own inability to price out their work to where their primary concern is their own survivability and not giving the customer a "deal" he won't refuse. Mac, I'm not trying to beat you up (actually, I did understand what you were saying). . I have a friend who tells me I'm "trilingual". She says that I can talk with rocket scientists and brain surgeons, with working people, and with people who don't have a clue. You always have to speak to your audience at the level of their perception. Some are going to be pissed that I wrote this because they, too, understood, but it doesn't mean there aren't those who quickly stopped reading when the language became too technical. We are TAXIDERMISTS. Some have never been anything else and often, those are the ones in dire need of the message.

Jean, I THINK you said just what Mac did in a tangible way. But then what the hell do us old farts know anyway? LOL Richard says you've made a career of gouging your customers.

7. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I just bought a OTS sneak form with the ac. nose and is $10.00 cheaper then McK same size form, forget about quality. Also in regards to the shipping post also being discussed, same sized box and less weight from OTS vs McK shipped from Ohio vs PA. to N.J. was $9.00 less shipped with Fed X and delivered on Saturday, today. Shop around and get the smaller companies going to get competition moving.

8. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

When is anyone going to figure out that, like any other biz, supporting the small guy is novel, but theres a huge reason why so many smaller guys dont exist anymore. And they didnt get bought out. The big companies, and their bigger price, didnt get that way because a few small time business, (many of us taxidermists) know more than they do, I can guarantee you that. The more this thread and others like this get commented on, the more clear it is who does and doesnt know much about business beyond how it pertains to them that day. Who wants to bet theres a direct correlation to the prices charged the other way, too???

BTW, Mike, I liked the response you deleted better bud, hahaha.

9. George, I cant argue with you, appreciate the reality check, that's what I get for trying to cram many thoughts into one paragraph in a short amount of time - LOL. ::) Basically said, with out all the fluff is that our industry is neither set up for reduced pricing for taxidermists and alternate pricing for those not in the business, nor is there any incentive for the suppliers to do so. Retail is retail and they are in it to make money regardless of customer. I think that is a bit better LOL. ;)

10. George

Thank you Mac. That says it all and even I can understand that.

11. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

You can get 12%-15% off every order by setting up a pre-payed account with Mckenzie. It's very convenient.

12. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

That on the Association not the vendor. We had that problem in WI a few years back. Issue was brought up and the board made rules accordingly. Even if you are a member of the association now you have to pay the convention fees to be bale to enter any supply areas and such. Thats a pretty simple one just up to the association/competition to figure it out.

13. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

Most States require a license or permit of some kind. Suppliers could ask any new customers for their lic/permit number in order to get the discount. Don't have a permit or license, then you don't qualify for the discount.

14. George

That might make sense to a taxidermist, but id damned sure doesn't to a business. If a discount encouraged bigger purchases, why should THEY cut off their nose to spite their face. You guys just seem to think taxidermy is "big business". I'm sorry folks, but we make pissants look like grasshoppers. We are just a very small niche in the big scheme of things. Taxidermy suppliers are nothing more than retailers to begin with. They pay royalties to their sculptors and have tobuy wholesale volumn. I know that primary suppliers have to sell at a 40% markdown to major suppliers. Then the major supplier adds that back on to his retail price. NO ONE RIDES FOR FREE. Economics applies even if you can't spell it. If you're doing deer for $350 a pop, you're going to go out of business. You just don't realize it yet. You're a dime trying to prop up a nickel. Stop biting the hand that feeds you and charge for your work what McKenzie charges for theirs.